BMW Werkz banner

List Bolt-on Mods...!?!?

3K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  RexKing86 
#1 ·
hey, i'm still making a list of things to do to my car. Right now i'm trying to think of all the mods i can do without cracking open the engine for some big buck mods. I'm talking about things like performance chips, underdrive pulleys, CAI, various suspension parts, etc...

if you all would, please list all of these types of mods you can think of. this will help me get an idea of what all i can do to my car and can also help others who don't know what to do with their ride next.

i will start by listing a few i can think of...

upgrade shocks & lowering springs
cross brace
stress bar
sway bars
performance bushings
subframe mounts
CAI
underdrive pulley
headers
short throw shifter
high performance ignition wires
brake duct vents

...please list all that you can think of! thanx!

See less See more
#9 ·
You can do all that but would see a bigger gain from a supercharger like bigred said. I wouldn't do alot of those anyways as the money is not worth the performance boost.
I like my small list of what I want to do
chip
CAI
pulleys
exhaust
cams
suspension
wheels and tires
cosmetic stuff

wheels and tires are a big expense but one that greatly changes the look and adds alot to performance if you get some good tires.

By the way a chip/software is not on your "list" although you mentioned it earlier.

#10 ·
keke. I dont want to sound noob, but what is "lsd with closer ratio gears", "cams" and "a MAF off 540i". :cheers

#11 ·
lsd=limited slip differential
cams=camshafts
MAF=Mass Air Flow
i am sure on two and not quite sure if right wording on one, let me know if I screwed up.

#12 ·
jshearerl,
your list sounds much similar to mine, however, i want to do all of the other odds and ends as well minus the supercharger for now. sometime down the road i will look into superchargers and turbochargers. i've found that no matter what you do they are always expensive, so i'm gonna wait until i can get a really good _______charger and in the mean time be keeping up the other performance odds and ends. i like the suspension mods, can't wait for those!

#13 ·
I had a list of mods I wanted to do before I went to my first driving school. At the end of the school, my priorities changed drastically. Top of the list now:

Street/track brake pads
Stainless steel brake lines
4-point harness (for the track).

I decided I needed more stopping power before adding more horsepower.

Good luck!

#14 ·
pads and lines won't help you much... tried that already... got myself some ferodo pads and brembo oem rotors... still have overheating problems... guess i have to start thinking about getting a big brake kit...

i'd like to know too if the e46 rsms will bolt on to an e36 or if i have to modify something... new springs and shocks coming next month so any info would be welcome...

#15 ·
I just changed my RSM's this weekend. Very easy to do and it is a direct fit using the E46 RSM's. The ride does feel better now. I plan in changing the RTAB's with E36 M3 ones.

#18 ·
Rear trailing arm bushings. I heard these tend to fail as well. The M3 ones are supposedly better.

#20 ·
You'll need special tools, I'm not going to try this myself.
E36 M3 RTAB cost about $20-25 each (USF).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.