Light Bulb Question - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 09:51 AM
7th Gear (SMG)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
4evrwyntr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 4evrwyntr Send a message via MSN to 4evrwyntr Send a message via Yahoo to 4evrwyntr
(Thread Starter)
Well. A middle bulb in my spoiler went out, and rather than having to pay labor for installing this (which supposedly is a touch more difficult to replace than the other bulbs), I would like to replace it myself. While I am more than confident in my abilities to replace the bulb, I have no clue what kind of bulb I've been looking for. I've perused Sylvania's replacement guide, as well as doing numerous google searches. What kind of bulb to I need? The spoiler is a stock spoiler with third brakelight - it's a low profile wing with a slight depression in the middle/front portions, and I think 7 bulb housings in the middle/back.
I can get pictures uploaded this afternoon if necessary.
I know, it doesn't help that I don't know the name of the spoiler - I did a look on google for that as well and came up with 3 different identities.

Crap, I think I may be a yuppie...
1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 05:08 PM
2nd Gear Member

e36surge is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to e36surge Send a message via MSN to e36surge
Stop Lamp for rear spoiler (click top link) Part number 63252489862. Second link just shows what type of spoiler you have. I thnk you have to change the whole strip. I don't have an M3 unfortunately so no experience in the matter.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...276&hg=63&fg=25

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...851&hg=41&fg=60

hope it helps.
#3 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 06:48 PM
7th Gear (SMG)

Send a message via AIM to 4evrwyntr Send a message via MSN to 4evrwyntr Send a message via Yahoo to 4evrwyntr
(Thread Starter)
Well. From experience, I can say that it is possible to replace single bulbs rather than the entire strip. Unfortunately, it shows the strip as an entire part. Looks like I'll be adding a DIY soon on this forum - once I find out what kind of bulbs that thing uses, I'll post that as well.
Thanks for the link though - that's going to help alot. I've already bookmarked the page. Sweet.

1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
#4 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 07:46 PM
Power Shifting

Cruzin 323is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Cruzin 323is
i am a bit confused.. take a pic... and i'll help u out!

-SOLD..
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2229108/1 *UPDATED 8.25.06*
R.I.P Fast 6

stuff for sale on my e36.. CHeck it out!
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/aft...e36-49128.html
#5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 07:34 AM
7th Gear (SMG)

(Thread Starter)
I took some pics, but the lighting is horrible. I'll try to get some better lighting (the camera SUCKS), but it if that's not possible, I'll just post the pics anyway. Moot point, really, because it turns out that the window where I thought one of my brake lights was out, was apparently wrong? I stopped by an Autozone to pick up a K&N filter, harassed a customer about my brake lights, and apparently, none of them are out. Huh. Maybe a loose filament.

Anyway, this leads me into another question - unrelated to the lightbulb - where do you guys get a box air filter from K&N? Did you order yours on the internet or something? None of the Autozones here apparently carry the correct size filter (33-2070)! What the hell. Or was it 33-2050. I can't remember.

1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
#6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 02:59 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
I got my K&N from bavauto.com . The third brake light on the M3 spoiler uses LEDs, not bulbs. Take the strip out and take out the LED. Take it to Radio Shack and get a replacement. Before you even do that, ensure that the problem is not simply a lose connection or a short. LEDs last a very, very long time, so a connection problem is more likely than a bad LED.

#7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 03:36 PM
7th Gear (SMG)

(Thread Starter)
LED, huh. I'll keep that in mind. No short that I know of, and like I said earlier, apparently I was just hallucinating about the light. I'll still put pictures up, just to placate everyone.
How much $$$ was the filter, and how long did it take to come in? I don't trust delivery, what with living in an apartment complex.

1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
#8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 10:00 PM
7th Gear (SMG)

(Thread Starter)
Well, the pictures turned out like crap. I will try to get better ones.
HERE'S THE BEST ONE.

[attachmentid=23092]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0006.JPG
Views:	1262
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	21555  

1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
#9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 10:38 PM
3rd Gear Member

camnipotent is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to camnipotent Send a message via MSN to camnipotent
A K&N Filter will run you between 30-40 on eBay and 40 at bavauto.com. Bav always ships quickly and I trust their shipping. I live in an apartment as well and have never had a problem with them.

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'>1998 BMW 323is Coupe, Black
Manual
18&quot; M3 Hyper Silver Rims
2 12&quot; Rockford Fosgate Subs; Sealed
1.0 Farad Capacitor
800 Watt 2-Way Rockford Fosgate Amplifier</span></span>
#10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 11:42 PM
7th Gear (SMG)

(Thread Starter)
Oh, I am not worried about the shipping part. I'm absolutely positive that what I order will get to my apartment's atrium when it is supposed to. What with two of my friends having stereos stolen and a bank being robbed down the street since I've moved in, I just don't expect the items to stay where they are long enough for me to pick them up.
And while I'm generous, I'm buying these parts for my car, damnit.

1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
#11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2005, 07:06 AM
3rd Gear Member

camnipotent is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to camnipotent Send a message via MSN to camnipotent
You may be able to pay some extra cash and get signature delivery send it some place you know it will be safe at, like work or a friend's.

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'>1998 BMW 323is Coupe, Black
Manual
18&quot; M3 Hyper Silver Rims
2 12&quot; Rockford Fosgate Subs; Sealed
1.0 Farad Capacitor
800 Watt 2-Way Rockford Fosgate Amplifier</span></span>
#12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2005, 08:05 AM
7th Gear (SMG)

(Thread Starter)
I actually had thought about that (good idea!), and decided that it would be a last resort. My friends have... interesting work schedules, and conflicts would mean at least a week before picking up the part... I was hoping to get it in a couple of days, but it looks like this might be what's going down.

1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
#13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2005, 10:00 AM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Quote:
Originally posted by 4evrwyntr@Jul 28 2005, 03:36 PM
LED, huh. I'll keep that in mind. No short that I know of, and like I said earlier, apparently I was just hallucinating about the light. I'll still put pictures up, just to placate everyone.
How much $$$ was the filter, and how long did it take to come in? I don't trust delivery, what with living in an apartment complex.
[snapback]365769[/snapback]
I'm treferring to a short or -- more likely -- a broken connection on the LED strip. Did you take it out and check for these things?

#14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2005, 10:08 AM
7th Gear (SMG)

(Thread Starter)
Like I stated before, there weren't any apparent shorts on the "outside." The only thing I haven't checked would be internal wiring (anything actually in the strip, because I haven't taken that apart yet.

1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)