Leaking gear oil/transmission lube Source? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 03:39 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nick_g_evans is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
So my transmission is leaking some red gear oil and I'm not sure of the source. It looks like it's just coming from the drain plug, but I don't know why it would do that as it's bolted in. What could be the source of this leak? Rear main seal?
nick_g_evans is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 03:48 PM
1st Gear Member
 
Mattitjah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mattitjah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Mattitjah
Try to clean the tranny with Gunk or its like, then drive a few miles and take another look. You should be able to see where it's leaking from. But it sounds like a seal.
Mattitjah is offline  
#3 (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 03:52 PM
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Richmond Hill, Ontario
Posts: 1,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Autotechnica is an unknown quantity at this point
It's the seal. Once it's bolted in if it still leaks you should get really bad smells in your interior. The oil leaks onto the exhaust pipe and burns up. The seal is relatively cheap, the labour is very expensive. It's a lot of work to replace those seals.

Bry

<u>1994 M-Technic M42 Saloon - Trillium Chapter - 5130</u>
Stock - 2866lbs Current - 2670lbs
<a href='http://www.geocities.com/mtechnik42' target='_blank'>- VIEW MY MODS AND PICS</a>
<a href='http://www.automobile-technik.com' target='_blank'>- PARTS FOR SALE</a>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
&lt;img src=&quot;http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/atta...tc=1&quot;&gt;
Autotechnica is offline  
#4 (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 04:07 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nick_g_evans is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica@Mar 13 2004, 05:32 PM
It's the seal. Once it's bolted in if it still leaks you should get really bad smells in your interior. The oil leaks onto the exhaust pipe and burns up. The seal is relatively cheap, the labour is very expensive. It's a lot of work to replace those seals.

Bry
What seal are you guys talking about?
nick_g_evans is offline  
#5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2004, 10:03 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nick_g_evans is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by Mattitjah@Mar 13 2004, 05:28 PM
Try to clean the tranny with Gunk or its like, then drive a few miles and take another look. You should be able to see where it's leaking from. But it sounds like a seal.
Are you guys talking about the selector shaft seal or the rear main seal or something else?
nick_g_evans is offline  
#6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 10:51 AM
n00b
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
cybercullen is an unknown quantity at this point
this is the same thing my 95 325 is doing. tranny oil leaks onto the exhaust, its actually at the dealer now waiting for me to pick it up, they inspected it and said it needed all new tranny seals and that they would need to drop the tranny (i dont believe this) and that it would be $1600 in labor. ive looked at it even replaced the pan seal myself a few months ago and it only looks like its leaking in that 1 spot where it drips down on to the exhaust.

im taking it to another shop to get a second opinion tommorrow. hopefully the entire trans doesnt need to be dropped and resealed : (
cybercullen is offline  
#7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 11:19 AM
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Richmond Hill, Ontario
Posts: 1,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Autotechnica is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by cybercullen@Mar 15 2004, 12:31 PM
this is the same thing my 95 325 is doing. tranny oil leaks onto the exhaust, its actually at the dealer now waiting for me to pick it up, they inspected it and said it needed all new tranny seals and that they would need to drop the tranny (i dont believe this) and that it would be $1600 in labor. ive looked at it even replaced the pan seal myself a few months ago and it only looks like its leaking in that 1 spot where it drips down on to the exhaust.

im taking it to another shop to get a second opinion tommorrow. hopefully the entire trans doesnt need to be dropped and resealed : (
Unfortunately it is really expensive to fix. I think $1600 is a little excessive though. However, unless you know someone who can fix your car cheap, I think you're stuck with the bill.

Bry

<u>1994 M-Technic M42 Saloon - Trillium Chapter - 5130</u>
Stock - 2866lbs Current - 2670lbs
<a href='http://www.geocities.com/mtechnik42' target='_blank'>- VIEW MY MODS AND PICS</a>
<a href='http://www.automobile-technik.com' target='_blank'>- PARTS FOR SALE</a>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
&lt;img src=&quot;http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/atta...tc=1&quot;&gt;
Autotechnica is offline  
#8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 12:06 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nick_g_evans is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica+Mar 15 2004, 12:59 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Autotechnica @ Mar 15 2004, 12:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-cybercullen@Mar 15 2004, 12:31 PM
this is the same thing my 95 325 is doing. tranny oil leaks onto the exhaust, its actually at the dealer now waiting for me to pick it up, they inspected it and said it needed all new tranny seals and that they would need to drop the tranny (i dont believe this) and that it would be $1600 in labor. ive looked at it even replaced the pan seal myself a few months ago and it only looks like its leaking in that 1 spot where it drips down on to the exhaust.

im taking it to another shop to get a second opinion tommorrow. hopefully the entire trans doesnt need to be dropped and resealed : (
Unfortunately it is really expensive to fix. I think $1600 is a little excessive though. However, unless you know someone who can fix your car cheap, I think you're stuck with the bill.

Bry [/b][/quote]
You guys are a bunch of pansies. jk I'll just drop it myself. Are the seals expensive? I guess I'll do my clutch now too.
nick_g_evans is offline  
#9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 01:59 PM
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Richmond Hill, Ontario
Posts: 1,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Autotechnica is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by nick_g_evans+Mar 15 2004, 01:46 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (nick_g_evans @ Mar 15 2004, 01:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica@Mar 15 2004, 12:59 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-cybercullen
Quote:
@Mar 15 2004, 12:31 PM
this is the same thing my 95 325 is doing. tranny oil leaks onto the exhaust, its actually at the dealer now waiting for me to pick it up, they inspected it and said it needed all new tranny seals and that they would need to drop the tranny (i dont believe this) and that it would be $1600 in labor. ive looked at it even replaced the pan seal myself a few months ago and it only looks like its leaking in that 1 spot where it drips down on to the exhaust.

im taking it to another shop to get a second opinion tommorrow. hopefully the entire trans doesnt need to be dropped and resealed : (

Unfortunately it is really expensive to fix. I think $1600 is a little excessive though. However, unless you know someone who can fix your car cheap, I think you're stuck with the bill.

Bry
You guys are a bunch of pansies. jk I'll just drop it myself. Are the seals expensive? I guess I'll do my clutch now too. [/b][/quote]
Seals are cheap. I'll try to get you the exact part number tonight from the BMW ETK disc.

Bry

<u>1994 M-Technic M42 Saloon - Trillium Chapter - 5130</u>
Stock - 2866lbs Current - 2670lbs
<a href='http://www.geocities.com/mtechnik42' target='_blank'>- VIEW MY MODS AND PICS</a>
<a href='http://www.automobile-technik.com' target='_blank'>- PARTS FOR SALE</a>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
&lt;img src=&quot;http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/atta...tc=1&quot;&gt;
Autotechnica is offline  
#10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 05:49 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nick_g_evans is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Well, I am just going to have it done. I found out it was the output seal and the shifter seal. The total was $380. That includes 3.5 hours of labor. They don't have to drop the whole transmission, just half drop it.
nick_g_evans is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SMG questions... chuckie789 3-Series (E46, E90) 7 08-06-2004 10:55 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome