BMW Werkz banner

Koni Vs. Bilstein

7K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Furious 
#1 ·
I am new to the forum. I autoX in a 96 328is. I need shocks bad. Which shocks would be better for AutoX, Koni singal adjustables or Bilstein heavy dutys?

#2 ·
Most people use the Heavy Duties, but I would say for auto-x if you are serious about it get the konis, you can make them softer for road use and then fine tune the balance out on the track. But I don't know anybody that has konis on their BMW. But I know that they make excellent shocks. If I ever upgrade past what I had it would most likely be to koni adjustable of some flavor.

#3 ·
If I'm not mistaken, Dinan uses Konis for their stage 1 suspension--at least that's what the parts guy at BMW told me. I've used Bilsteins in my volvo. and they are really good. But, if Dinan uses Konis, then that's good enough for me! I'm considering this upgrade too, but Dinan is so damn expensive.

#5 ·
i have H&R springs and koni shocks i like the feel im getting. i can adjust it to my liking whether i want it soft or stiff.

#8 ·
Originally posted by thekid@Oct 11 2004, 08:13 PM
Most people use the Heavy Duties, but I would say for auto-x if you are serious about it get the konis, you can make them softer for road use and then fine tune the balance out on the track. But I don't know anybody that has konis on their BMW. But I know that they make excellent shocks. If I ever upgrade past what I had it would most likely be to koni adjustable of some flavor.
[snapback]209650[/snapback]​
I have koni 4 way adjustables, they are tuned perfect for the moment for the canyons, I would imagine autox would have similar requirements.

#9 ·
Originally posted by Furious@Oct 11 2004, 11:39 PM
ive heard that konis have longevity problems. that is the only reason i bought bilsteins, and im 100% happy with them. and mine are adjustable too, but not as easy to change.
[snapback]209761[/snapback]​
That is possible, but from the people in my region of the SCCA the consensus is that KYB won't hold up to sometimes even a season of auto-x but on the same cars konis last several seasons. Also koni offers the same deal as Bilstien if the shock ever busts. I would definately get adjustable regardless.

#11 ·
KYB sucks. I used them a long time ago when I didn't know anything about suspension companies. They blew in 1 season. I used them for 2 auto-x's and 1 track day. After the winter, I found out they had blown.

I've used KONI's for 1 season and I didn't like them, very bouncy and it didn't seem to want to work with any spring setup I had. True, they are adjustable, but the ride was just really harsh and I never felt they worked as well as the Bilsteins. On another important note, KONI's have a 3 year limited warranty, whereas Bilstein has a lifetime warranty. Their lifetime warranty kicks butt. I've had 4 shocks all replaced with brand new ones when I blew them. Bilsteins work well with Eibach but best with H&R. I just swapped my Eibach springs for H&R today actually, I love the results.

Warranty says everything about the quality and longivity of a product.

My friend had track his car for 8 years and it's a 325 E36. He had Bilstein dampers installed at the same time just when he started tracking his car. He recently sold his car and gave me his dampers. They are kind of soft, but they aren't leaking, all 4 dampers are still in perfect working condition. 8 years of track driving and the Bilsteins aren't blown plus it has lifetime warranty? That's pretty damn good if you ask me.

Bry

#13 ·
Originally posted by 97alpineM3@Oct 12 2004, 07:59 PM
Are you going to use those dampers... sell them??... whatcha doin with them... eh?

Just curious...

Les
[snapback]210169[/snapback]​
I got a crap load of dampers sitting in my basement. I've got a set of practically brand new Bilstein SP M3 front struts and rear shocks. They've been used for less than a year. PM me if you're interested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.