Keylesss Entry System - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 12:38 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
GBears is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I heard that installing a keyless entry system into an e36 is a pain. So i was wondering if there was an easier way than wiring it into the car, and if it is actually worth it. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 10:32 AM
Power Shifting

Cruzin 323is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Cruzin 323is
alarms, keyless entry/ remote start are pain in the ass's to install, this is why many places wont touch bmw's.. your best bet is to find a place that will install on bmw's and let them do it...

-SOLD..
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2229108/1 *UPDATED 8.25.06*
R.I.P Fast 6

stuff for sale on my e36.. CHeck it out!
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/aft...e36-49128.html
#3 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 10:37 AM
1st Gear Member

jiggs is an unknown quantity at this point
Will cost you a pretty penny as well. So probably not worth the hassle unless you're loaded :P
#4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 11:34 AM
n00b

M3wannabe2004 is an unknown quantity at this point
umm, not sure guys, I managed to hook up a keyless entry system to my car, have even managed to get the thing to double lock the doors when closing, it took a little but of searching on the web but I got there in the end. My alarm only cost me £30.00 it's probably shite nd will break but the keyless bit was pretty easy!
#5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 12:10 PM
Power Shifting

Cruzin 323is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Cruzin 323is
sure, there are many DIY on alarms.. if your willing to pop a blood vessle in the process.. lol

-SOLD..
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2229108/1 *UPDATED 8.25.06*
R.I.P Fast 6

stuff for sale on my e36.. CHeck it out!
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/aft...e36-49128.html
#6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 07:36 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
As far as I know, all E36s are prewired for BMW security systems. It should be a simple matter of popping it in -- shouldn't it? There is a seller on eBay, BMWSECURITYSYSTEMS, that sells a pop-in alarm system that some members have and have said works. OEM from bavauto costs $370. The one on eBay is $190. Delmarco has an aftermarket system that ran him around $200 that is working pretty well on his car. So there you go.

#7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 08:32 AM
n00b

Jody007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by GBears@Apr 7 2005, 12:38 AM
I heard that installing a keyless entry system into an e36 is a pain. So i was wondering if there was an easier way than wiring it into the car, and if it is actually worth it. Thanks
[snapback]327300[/snapback]
Just last night I installed one of BMWSecuritySystems.com keyless entry units on my 325i. Also replaced the inside filter while I had the glove box out.
While not as easy as screwing in a light blub, the instructions were straight forward and easy to follow. I made a mistake and forgot to plug in a connection. MY STUPIDITY! I called the sellers and they were very helpful and knew exactly how to fix it. It's really a nice system. All the doors lock when you start the car and unlock when you turn it off.
I got the basic no alarm unit. Delivered to the door was right at $135.00. The only error in the instruction was the drill bit was the wrong size. It says to use a 7/32, but I needed to use 1/4.
Go for it!
#8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 10:21 AM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Jody007+Apr 8 2005, 08:32 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jody007 @ Apr 8 2005, 08:32 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-GBears@Apr 7 2005, 12:38 AM
[snapback]327300[/snapback]
Just last night I installed one of BMWSecuritySystems.com keyless entry units on my 325i. Also replaced the inside filter while I had the glove box out.
While not as easy as screwing in a light blub, the instructions were straight forward and easy to follow. I made a mistake and forgot to plug in a connection. MY STUPIDITY! I called the sellers and they were very helpful and knew exactly how to fix it. It's really a nice system. All the doors lock when you start the car and unlock when you turn it off.
I got the basic no alarm unit. Delivered to the door was right at $135.00. The only error in the instruction was the drill bit was the wrong size. It says to use a 7/32, but I needed to use 1/4.
Go for it!
[snapback]328263[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

Swet. I didn't know they had one without the alarm. I may just go ahead and get that. Is it like a "stages" type thing? I mena, can I get that right now and then upgrade to having an alarm?

#9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 10:31 AM
3rd Gear Member

kyle_baker is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to kyle_baker Send a message via MSN to kyle_baker Send a message via Yahoo to kyle_baker Send a message via Skype™ to kyle_baker
i saw that seller on ebay a few days ago as well, thats odd timing, lol, anyways, his items look good and it says they are ready to be installed through the oem connectors, they include keyless as well as alarm for like $195 shipped (i think). sounds like a good deal to me.
#10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 11:49 AM
n00b

Jody007 is an unknown quantity at this point
[/quote]

Swet. I didn't know they had one without the alarm. I may just go ahead and get that. Is it like a "stages" type thing? I mena, can I get that right now and then upgrade to having an alarm?
[snapback]328306[/snapback]
[/quote]

I don't think you can add to the basic unit later. And because of the cost versus time/labor you really wouldn't want to.
I HATE car alarms! 99.99999999% of the time they go off for the wrong reason.
#11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 01:24 PM
drz
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jody007@Apr 8 2005, 11:49 AM
Quote:

[snapback]328306[/snapback]

I don't think you can add to the basic unit later. And because of the cost versus time/labor you really wouldn't want to.
I HATE car alarms! 99.99999999% of the time they go off for the wrong reason.
[snapback]328406[/snapback]
I was thinking about it. I read the descriptions on eBay and I think I will go with the keyless entry system only. Shall make a nice birthday present from myself. I also abhor alarms that go off for no reason.

#12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 05:48 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

RedlinedRU is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to RedlinedRU
I thought all e36's came with security systems on them? Mine has a nice one that I'm pretty sure is stock.....but I have a euro version....maybe thats different or something i dunno.

<span style='color:green'>
AMG can't build an NA engine that can compete with M engines, so they stick in a supercharger and say their cars are faster. BMW could simply do the same, but they don't out of principle.</span>
#13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 06:11 PM
drz
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by RedlinedRU@Apr 8 2005, 05:48 PM
I thought all e36's came with security systems on them? Mine has a nice one that I'm pretty sure is stock.....but I have a euro version....maybe thats different or something i dunno.
[snapback]328691[/snapback]
Not all of them do. The ones that don't are prewired for it. Thatis why installation is cake. You just plug it in. Same as with the CD changer.

#14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 09:03 PM
3rd Gear Member

kyle_baker is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to kyle_baker Send a message via MSN to kyle_baker Send a message via Yahoo to kyle_baker Send a message via Skype™ to kyle_baker
so the alarm system part is as easy as hooking up a cd changer or are you talking about the keyless? (hopefully both, lol) i still like the idea of having an alarm, lol, and they don't go off for "NO" reason, it's just that the reason maybe unnecessary, lol, but i know what you mean.
#15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 11:24 PM
drz
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by kyle_baker@Apr 8 2005, 09:03 PM
so the alarm system part is as easy as hooking up a cd changer or are you talking about the keyless? (hopefully both, lol) i still like the idea of having an alarm, lol, and they don't go off for "NO" reason, it's just that the reason maybe unnecessary, lol, but i know what you mean.
[snapback]328775[/snapback]
If you want an alarm then you would get a complete keyless entry/alarm kit. It is not as easy as hooking up the CD changer. However, it is not a particularly hard task to accomplish. What I meant to express is that just as BMWs that did not come with a CD changer installed are prewired for a CD changer, BMWs that did not come with the security system installed are prewired for a security system.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)