Key will not turn either way and dash lights and air con are on - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 07:24 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Brandan is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Key will not turn either way and dash lights and air con are on

I was at my mates house and about to leave i turned the key in the ignition and the lights came on air con started as usual but then the key wouldnt turn any further. It also wont turn back the other way to turn off. It will wiggle slightly either way but no clicks. If i sit there and wiggle it round for ages it eventually comes free and spins round 360 degrees but then just locks up in the same spot again..... Someone please help me i have a 96 bmw 318i e36
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 10:32 PM
3rd Gear Member

k.sidlosky is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to k.sidlosky
You need a new tumbler Andaman its going to be a dealer part to. I wish you luck on finding one.

|Dinan Intake|Schrick Cams|24lb Injectors|809 HFM|M50 Manifold|TMS Stage IV+|Dinan Strut Brace|Samco Hoses|UUC Pulley||UUC SSK DSSR|DDM Coilovers|Fikse FM10|Brembo Rotors|Hawk Pads|AA Exhaust|Alpine|Audiobahn|Sony|
#3 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 04:14 AM
1st Gear Member

David Mc is on a distinguished road
Use the password help to download and read this 4shared, Online file sharing and storage . I repaired mine over 2 years ago without purchasing any parts and it has not missed a beat since. I posted how this can be done here Spinning Ignition barrel repair - United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum .
#4 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 04:14 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
do u know how pricy thats gonna be? and is it a big job?
#5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 04:16 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks very much Dave im looking into it now
#6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 06:31 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
Use the password help to download and read this 4shared, Online file sharing and storage . I repaired mine over 2 years ago without purchasing any parts and it has not missed a beat since. I posted how this can be done here Spinning Ignition barrel repair - United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum .
Thanks so much sorry about the late reply but i printed that sheet out and got straight to it. Its absolutely perfect now know problems when i flicked round that bar with some pliers in the ignition switch it all clicked in place... absolute life saver thank you
#7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 12:17 AM
n00b

videoprom@cogeco.ca is on a distinguished road
I turned my ignition key and the car would not turn over but the radio went on. Then I when I turned the key to the off position if wouldn't turn off and the radio kept blasting. After numerous attempts to get the engine to turn over I gave up and took it to the BMW dealer who informed me that the key was matched to the car's VIN number and that the faulty tumbler would have to be replaced with a new one in Germany that would be matched to my existing key. This process would take me a week and the cost would be $850, which is 50 bucks less than what I paid for the car. I called the junkers and they didn't have a tumbler with a key so that wouldn't work. I did notice that BMW was charging me double for the tumbler and parts than I could get the OEM tumbler off the internet.
Question: Do I have to bite the bullet and pay or is there a solution to this problem.
#8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 02:12 AM
1st Gear Member

David Mc is on a distinguished road
Read the hyperlinked pdf's. If your car is an E36 you are being fed a line of absolute rubbish. You only need BMW's involvement if your key transponder has died or doesn't match the car, the mechanics of the ignition barrel have absolutely no requirement for BMW dealer involvement - as my car and many others can attest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)