Key Trouble - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 09:09 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tens is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Tens
(Thread Starter)
So I bought a blank key for my 1996 328is, called the dealership to see if they will cut it. "We can't cut it, need to send it away. Also since itís after 1995 there is a chip in there that needs to be programmed for the ignition." I ignored his advice and called some local key shops, lucky they said they could do it, unless its steel, (which it is) and then only "God" could do it.

A) Has anyone heard about this "key" programming?

'B) Anyone know of any place in Seattle that has the hook up with "God" and can cut the key?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 10:11 PM
quality

Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Hey,
What was the reason your BMW dealer gave for not cutting your key?

I'm asking cuz' I'm heading to BMW of Manhattan tommorrow morning with a flip key FOB I bought from ebay that need to be cut to my VIN specs.

Also why can't a locksmith cut a steel key? That's weird! used Almost like a chef saying he can't make a rack of lamb because he can't cut lamb!

Quote:
Originally posted by Tens@Oct 18 2004, 07:09 PM
So I bought a blank key for my 1996 328is, called the dealership to see if they will cut it. "We can't cut it, need to send it away. Also since itís after 1995 there is a chip in there that needs to be programmed for the ignition." I ignored his advice and called some local key shops, lucky they said they could do it, unless its steel, (which it is) and then only "God" could do it.

A) Has anyone heard about this "key" programming?

'B) Anyone know of any place in Seattle that has the hook up with "God" and can cut the key?
[snapback]213721[/snapback]

#3 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 10:46 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
BMW of Seattle would not cut it because they did not have the $6,000 dollar machine to laser cut the keys. The key shop said that their laser machine can not handle "steel" and I would wreck it. They Suggested that I find a laser key cut place that has Carbite laser key cutting machine. Screw this, maybe I can just do it with a Dremel.
#4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 11:15 PM
Defector

El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
Indeed, 96 models have EWS systems, which entail chipped keys. You'll need to transplant the RFID tag from one to the other if the key you bought doesnt have one.

As for the key, yes, only certain lasers can cut certain metals. Steel is not one that is easy to do.

<span style='color:gray'><span style='font-family:Courier'>1995 e36 3 Series RIP
1999 e46 3 Series BURN IN HELL
2000 MR-S Roadster= Current</span></span>
#5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 11:46 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
damn, took the key apart. no chip. I guess thats ok, I bought it to just to get into the car incase I locked the other key in there.
#6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 07:12 PM
quality

Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Tens@Oct 18 2004, 09:46 PM
damn, took the key apart. no chip. I guess thats ok, I bought it to just to get into the car incase I locked the other key in there.
[snapback]213840[/snapback]

I just got my FOB key from ebay cut. The old guy did it with a rusty ancient cutting machine. Not the fancy laser machines I keep hearing about...

20$ to make the key and it was a master too.....

#7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 02:58 PM
n00b

Vikas_ is an unknown quantity at this point
I just bought a 1995 BMW 325i from Copart and it does not have a key, I went to the dealer and they told me they wont make a key for me because its a salvage title, so then i went to a local LockSmith who told me that they cant make a key, because it has a chip in it. Does anyone know how I could get that car to start??
#8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 03:30 PM
/Banned

xsperf is an unknown quantity at this point
first, #1. huge coincidence, but how much did that BMW cost u, ive been looking at copart and seeing their auctions, but i can never tell how much it went for, and secondly, do you have to be a dealer to buy from there?

#2. that is very weird, i think as long as u show the dealer proof of ownership they should do the key.

#3.. cut it with a dremel.. one thing to say, AHHAHAHAHAHAH
#9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 03:30 PM
quality

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Vikas_@Oct 31 2004, 01:58 PM
I just bought a 1995 BMW 325i from Copart and it does not have a key, I went to the dealer and they told me they wont make a key for me because its a salvage title, so then i went to a local LockSmith who told me that they cant make a key, because it has a chip in it. Does anyone know how I could get that car to start??
[snapback]221733[/snapback]

I've been thinking of this recently. ...And El Pres would know best here. I swear my 1995 318i has a chip in the key. The BMW dealers at Manhattan keeps denying it based on the fact that 1995 cars do not have chips. But my vin # & carfax report states that my car was a produced 9/95 and was not sold until 1/96.

I recently purchased a blank E36 FOB flip key from ebay and got it cut from an old guy at a locksmith shop in NYC. Now....Vikas, this is where it gets wierd....And EL Pres your insight is welcomed....the FOB from Ebay starts my car up (lights, radio all the electrical functions) but it does not turn to the 3rd position and starts the engine on its own. The only two conditions where the FOB starts the engine (or turns into the number 3 spot) is when the original master key is nearby, say on the same keyring, or if I start the engine with the original master then turn it off and pull the master out, now the FOB will start the engine (only within like a 30 second time frame of pulling the master out) on its own without the master near it.

This has left me perplexed...Because I'm thinking the master has a chip in it. But then again if there was a chip why does the FOB start the engine within 30 seconds after the master is pulled out and kept far away????

Vikas, I made you read all this so I must help you now. In theory your problem is simple because BMW dealers are true simpletons.

Don't worry about the salvage title....all you need to do is Register the car in your name at the DMV, Get the title in your name at the DMW, make sure the car PASSES inspection and this would cancel out (but not erase) the salvage title of your car. After this then BMW must cut your keys...it may even be a state law as well. (I could be wrong don't quote me).

Of course in reality your problem is very tricky because of ONE little variable...you don't have the key to start the car in the first place and you may not be able to register/inspect your car. But if you don't do this you won't get your keys made by BMW...so you're back to square one ghead .

But hold on. ...why would you buy a car if it didn't have any KEYS, in the first place????!!!

Just tell me you got it for like a damn good price....under $2000!!!

Good Luck man...My car was not a salvage car...but I had similar problems with BMW fixing my ignition housing when I 1st got my 318i. The car won't start after I drove it home and the dealers didn't want to touch my car until I registered it in my name. I lamost ended up towing my car around to get stuff done to it, but I was forceful with the dealers...

#10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 03:36 PM
/Banned

delmacro, i ddint read ur post, but if u have stickshift, try this

first of all, put ur key in the run position

push ur car at a fairly fast speed(actually have someone else do this)
clutch it, and put it in first gear, while it is still clutched
release the clutch slowly, let the engine sputter for a bit, and give it a chacne to turn on, if u give it a chance to turn on and it doesnt, then.. well, nevermind haahha
#11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 03:38 PM
/Banned

oh yeah, and about hte salvage title thing:

it takes like 3 months for u to get a real title

and people buy cars without keys all the time at auctions
#12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 03:41 PM
quality

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by xsperf@Oct 31 2004, 02:36 PM
delmacro, i ddint read ur post, but if u have stickshift, try this

first of all, put ur key in the run position

push ur car at a fairly fast speed(actually have someone else do this)
clutch it, and put it in first gear, while it is still clutched
release the clutch slowly, let the engine sputter for a bit, and give it a chacne to turn on, if u give it a chance to turn on and it doesnt, then.. well, nevermind haahha
[snapback]221758[/snapback]
Nah-I got all the original keys (Master, Valet, Wallet) for my baby! and they all start the engine except for the aftermarket EBAY FOB (see above post).

I think Vikas' car is the one that needs a push :lol: ! : !!

#13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 03:43 PM
quality

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by xsperf@Oct 31 2004, 02:38 PM
and people buy cars without keys all the time at auctions
[snapback]221760[/snapback]

Well...now I wonder if other dealers like Toyota or Honda giive customers who need keys cut before they can register and inspect their new cars such a hard time. used

BMW needs to chillout sometime and give us Americans a break!!!

#14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 04:44 PM
/Banned

yes ever dealer does..

and delmarco, i am saying, put the EBAY key in, and then try what i said..

this may sound stupid, but what is FOB?
#15 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 06:06 PM
quality

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by xsperf@Oct 31 2004, 03:44 PM
yes ever dealer does..

and delmarco, i am saying, put the EBAY key in, and then try what i said..

this may sound stupid, but what is FOB?
[snapback]221805[/snapback]
Oh...I see what you mean, I'll try it now. Uhm...I don't know what FOB stands for but everyone else seems to use it to desrcibe it so I guess I started saying FOB too. See this link where i review it...

http://www.bmw-forums.com/forum/inde...howtopic=24158

used Hey, now I'm curious what does FOB mean?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)