K&N panel filters.. real opinions - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 11:47 AM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
basrite is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
K&N panel filters.. real opinions

Hey,

Just installed a K&N panel filter to the car.

I did the CAI but that destroyed itself due to the lack of clearance around the headlights from the height adjustable motor for the lights (be alot easier and more room if i didn't have that).

It was louder.. and definitely improved performance.

Due to the pipe breaking up.. I went for a plain pod filter... now that was a mistake without shielding with the under bonnet temps.

I then put the original factory box in, triflow muffler on the rear and got performance back in all temps.

Now the question is.. WILL the K&N in the factory box actually help at all?

Anyone done dyno tests on this?

Tonight was a nice 24 degrees after fitting.. so seemed like good performance.. wont know until the computer learns.

J.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 11:53 AM
teh Canuck....eh

PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to PhatCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by basrite View Post
Hey,

Just installed a K&N panel filter to the car.

I did the CAI but that destroyed itself due to the lack of clearance around the headlights from the height adjustable motor for the lights (be alot easier and more room if i didn't have that).

It was louder.. and definitely improved performance.

Due to the pipe breaking up.. I went for a plain pod filter... now that was a mistake without shielding with the under bonnet temps.

I then put the original factory box in, triflow muffler on the rear and got performance back in all temps.

Now the question is.. WILL the K&N in the factory box actually help at all?

Anyone done dyno tests on this?

Tonight was a nice 24 degrees after fitting.. so seemed like good performance.. wont know until the computer learns.

J.
I put an replacement K&N in my e30. I would be guess the increase in numbers, but I could certainly feel the difference. It wasn't a huge difference, mind you(it is just a filter, after all), but I certainly won't go back to OEM.

All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Sir Winston Churchill
#3 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 11:57 AM
1st Gear Member

jmo69 is on a distinguished road
Garage
It can't do any harm. Mine came with one, built my own CAI and only noticed more noise. I still have to figure out how to get it back behind the bumper where it was before I put in my new head lights.

Cosmos schwartz metalic Sparco strut brace factory X-brace 55w 6000k HID w/LED angel eyes smoked Lamin-X blacked out sidemarkers,tails and brakelights. DDM smoked corners and pedals. 35% tint all around, Prosport water temp and oil pressure gauges, Home Depot lip, M3 rear diffuser ASC-T delete.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 09:15 PM
Neutral Member

basrite is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Thanks guys!

JMO... they really put the height adjustment motor in the wrong spot on these things. Really restricts the pathway down to the bumper area. I guess it could be possible to make a pipe that flattens out to an oval.. but yucko.
#5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 11:01 PM
1st Gear Member

jmo69 is on a distinguished road
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by basrite View Post
Thanks guys!

JMO... they really put the height adjustment motor in the wrong spot on these things. Really restricts the pathway down to the bumper area. I guess it could be possible to make a pipe that flattens out to an oval.. but yucko.
Actually I've got aftermarket head lights, non powered. The housings are just too big.

Cosmos schwartz metalic Sparco strut brace factory X-brace 55w 6000k HID w/LED angel eyes smoked Lamin-X blacked out sidemarkers,tails and brakelights. DDM smoked corners and pedals. 35% tint all around, Prosport water temp and oil pressure gauges, Home Depot lip, M3 rear diffuser ASC-T delete.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)