Just picked up a 96 328is L@@K! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2009, 09:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Deuceakc is on a distinguished road
Just picked up a 96 328is L@@K!

just bought this bimmer last weekend, it needs some tlc and a few parts fixed but hell i couldnt pass up the deal! as of now i need to install a crank position senor since i bought it WITHOUT ONE!!! yeaa there wasnt one at all!! lol. so i went and bought a new sensor but it has like 4 plugs on it??? im asuming its a universal one?? but heres my problem i cant find where the bastard plungs into in the wire harness!! ive lloked everywhere and i just cant seem to find where the CPS plugs into? if someone could help me out it would be F'in great.
Deuceakc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2009, 11:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

Car: 1976 Benz 300D, 1999 740iL
Photos:
AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
nice you sure you got the right sensor? make sure to get an OEM sensor
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
AlpineSixAndSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Yea i got the sensor form Advance auto parts only because i didnt want to wait for one, my problem is i cant find where to plug the sensor into? seriously i cant find any plugs that arent open? i need some help asap i want to drive this machine!
Old 04-27-2009, 10:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ich bin der Modifikator

Car: 97'E36 2.8 w/Optional Sport Package
Photos:
johnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuceakc View Post
Yea i got the sensor form Advance auto parts only because i didnt want to wait for one, my problem is i cant find where to plug the sensor into? seriously i cant find any plugs that arent open? i need some help asap i want to drive this machine!

camshaft position sensor replacement:

http://www.bmwe36blog.com/wp-content...ion-sensor.pdf

johnny,

Last edited by johnnyBgood; 04-27-2009 at 10:31 PM.
johnnyBgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
^^ hey bro thats a good write up but i dont need the camshaft sensor replaced i need the Crank sensor replaced.

i cant find no DIY's
Old 04-27-2009, 11:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

Car: 1976 Benz 300D, 1999 740iL
Photos:
AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
Four plugs? sounds like the wrong part...
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
AlpineSixAndSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
the sensor itsself dont have four plugs but the wire that i got with the sensor has 4 different plug ends on it. i just cant find where it plugs into? under the manifold? somewhere in the wireharness?? but where?? its driving me nuts bro i want to drive this machine real bad!!!! car runs but has shitty idle but of course most of you all know that.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
my car is red

Car: 94 325i, 84 325e
Photos:
94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to 94BMW325i Send a message via Yahoo to 94BMW325i
Can you take a pic of the CPS you bought?

member and partial creator of pimpin the auto club
94BMW325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 1993 BMW 318i 5spd. Bone stock.
Photos:
3s3ri3sb1mm3r is on a distinguished road
Nice lookin car with some work it will look real clean. Welcome to the forums.
3s3ri3sb1mm3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ich bin der Modifikator

Car: 97'E36 2.8 w/Optional Sport Package
Photos:
johnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuceakc View Post
^^ hey bro thats a good write up but i dont need the camshaft sensor replaced i need the Crank sensor replaced.

i cant find no DIY's
Sorry about that.....try this.......

The sensor itself is easy to reach and replace. On some models, however, the wire harness that connects the sensor to the rest of the car is hidden underneath the intake manifold. Remove the intake manifold to replace the sensor. Or, you may be able to access it by reaching underneath the manifold—if you have skinny arms—and removing the oil filter housing first.

To replace the sensor, unscrew the 5-millimeter Allen bolt that attaches the sensor to the engine case. The sensor will always be mounted facing the toothed degree wheel attached to the front of the crankshaft. Depending upon which car you have, you may need to remove the radiator fan (see our radiator replacement article).

Wire harness routing varies widely from car to car. On the E36 six-cylinder models, the harness is routed through a plastic cover and then underneath the intake manifold. Disconnect the wire harness from the engine, and replace the sensor. Be sure to route the new harness along the same path as the old harness.

If you would like to see more technical articles like this one, please continue to support Pelican Parts with all your parts needs. If you like what you see here, then please visit our online BMW catalog and help support the collection and creating of new and informative technical articles like this one. Your continued support directly affects the expansion and existence of this site and technical articles like this one. As always, if you have any questions or comments about this helpful article, please drop us a line.

Figure 1, Below: The crankshaft position sensor (orange arrow) is relatively easy to get to. However, like the camshaft position sensor, the wire harness connection is hidden underneath the intake manifold. Remove the intake manifold to replace the sensor; or, if you have skinny arms, you may be able to reach in there if you remove the oil filter housing first. The wire harness is integrated into an upper plastic guide (green arrow). The wire disappears beneath the VANOS solenoid and the intake manifold (blue arrow).

Just picked up a 96 328is  L@@K!-crank-sensor.jpg

Pelican Technical Article: BMW Crankshaft Position Sensor Replacement
johnnyBgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)