just got my 318i - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2005, 11:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
318itx is on a distinguished road
just got my 318i

hey guys..i sold my rx7 and got my bmw 318i. i took the DVD player with in dash lcd screen out of my rx7 and plan to install it onto my bmw. now the interior is in good condition, so im wondering if you guys would be kind enough to help me with taking apart everything to get to the stock tape player so i can remove that and install this DVD player easily. i also plan to install a subwoofer, so this is a really stupid question, but i can't seem to find the battery. not i've only opened the hood once from when i was buying it and inspecting everything, but someone told me that it could be in the rear where the backseat is because he said some BMW's do that. now this guy could be completely wrong about this, but any help on where that is located is much appreciated. i tried to search for these things, but didn't come up with much info. thanks everyone!

edit: sorry guys i did find the battery! haha thanks

Last edited by 318itx; 12-11-2005 at 11:10 PM.
318itx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2005, 11:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
pop0tart is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pop0tart
Open trunk, look to the right, remove plastic panel, find battery, Welcome to the forums! Look at the stickys at the top of the e36 page and they'll point you to some good DIY sites that can help you in removing the stock tape player to install your DVD player, pelicanparts.com is a good place to start. What year is your car, as I am assuming that you were correct in posting in the e36 page? Again, welcome!!
pop0tart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 11:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car: 2010 (Prefer not to say here).
Photos:
thekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to thekid Send a message via AIM to thekid
You'll need a special tool to get the tape player out. If you don't mind seducing the parts manager or technician at your local BMW dealership they *might* let you borrow it to take it out (the one in Jackson MS didn't let me). There are two bolt things that are covered by plastic flaps on both sides of the head unit. It needs appox a 2mm star shapped head to be able to turn the bolts. You can buy one off of bavauto.com for $1X dollars, so i'd try your local dealership and independant shops to see if they'll let you use theirs. After you take the bolts out you just pull the unit out and then pull up on the security thing on the back connector. Once you pull it all the way up (might be hard) you can disconnect the connector and you're done.
thekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 12:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Keep it Copacetic

Car: 1995 BMW M3
Photos:
///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
You went from a FC/FD to a 318? Oh man you must be mising the power...

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
///M Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 01:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car: 99 323i ragtop
Photos:
SpooldUp will become famous soon enoughSpooldUp will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to SpooldUp
Welcome, you will find the 318 much more reliable than the RX-7, however sexy the rotary was. Download the Bentley manual, or buy it. It is like 60 bucks on amazon, and nice to have a hard copy in the garage. Bentley is the publisher, and has nothing to do with the carmaker Bentley. It has a grey cover with 3 E36 cars on the front.

<CENTER>

</CENTER>

where's my beer?
best website ever

"I'm not even supposed to be here today"

SpooldUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 08:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
318itx is on a distinguished road
wow, i feel so welcome already haha. ya i do miss my rx7. but i had to sell it. it was hella fast and all, and looked nice. but im a freshman in college, and needed something more reliable, plus i do computer repair at ppls houses and at a private school, coming there with this loud ass car wasn't a great idea haha. my bmw is a 1998. im pretty sure im in the right section. i dunno what got me to buy a bmw again..but i love it still. its a 4 door 5spd, and slow(at least compared to my FC) but i love it just as much. i used to have a 1985 bmw 528e. the thing was awesome, it was my first car, had like 150k miles on it and ran strong, and the seats were great. but anyways yeah im going to soon start making it look nice, to start out with my stereo system, i have that KA or whatever the name of it is system already, so its pretty good sounding. just need to install the indash and sub and i'll be good. i'll get some pics up of it soon, the black interior is gonna kill me in the summer, but for the look its soo worth it, thanks again for all of ya'lls help. and on the tool from the dealership, i can probably ask the ppls at don roberts bmw for it, hopefully they'll help me out.
318itx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)