BMW Werkz banner

just got a 1998 318ti, and need a little help

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Zq-8_dawg 
#1 ·
I just purchased a 1998 318ti over the weekend and I need a little help. The car has 31,000 miles on it and is a 5 speed. I gave $10,500 for it and it looks perfect.

The drivers side power door lock doesn't work with the remote or lock button in the car, anyone else have this problem? I might try to take the pannel off and put some type of spray in there to see if moisture got in the plug somehow.

The next thing that I have is a whining coming from under the hood, which is only noticable at idle soulds like maybe a pully or bearings in the alt.

Finally there is a small rattle in the exhaust, however I will probably put a cat back on in the next few months.

What are the best performance mods for the 1.9L engine, and the best places to get parts?

Also what are the common problems with these cars, as this is my first BMW.

Thanks
Phil

See less See more
#4 ·
Originally posted by Zq-8_dawg@Apr 20 2004, 01:28 PM
The next thing that I have is a whining coming from under the hood, which is only noticable at idle soulds like maybe a pully or bearings in the alt.
Check your belt tensioner on the engine. Turn the car off. Open the hood. Wiggle the belt to see if it's got excessive slack. Might need a new belt. However I'm not familiar with the 1.9s so I don't know where your tensioner is located.

Your rattles is probably just pieces of metal that busted off in the catalytic converter. After some driving they'll eventually blow out.

Kevin

#5 ·
Yeah I am thinking it might be the Cat converter, oh well if it goes I will get a universal. I plan on changing the plugs and wires in about a month, they are right on top so I can have that done in about an hour. even though it has 31,000 miles it still is a 98 so I would rather just replace them.

I would also like to add a cold air intake, what are my options?
Also a good exhaust for around $300?

Does anyone see a benefit to running synthetic oil?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.