Just came from checking out a 328i - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 12:38 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nyew3666 has a spectacular aura about Nyew3666 has a spectacular aura about Nyew3666 has a spectacular aura about
(Thread Starter)
Just came from checking out a 328i

I traveled to NJ to see it and fell in love with it after 10 minutes. The body is clean, only 85,000 miles and the interior is near mint. There are just afew things bugging me before I go ahead and buy it.

The radio security code but the owner already got the code and he couldn't figure how to restore it.

The car has been sitting and reaally needs a oil change and coolant flush/refill, as well as the power steering. Should I worry about the certain parts even though it hasn't been driven ( I know for a fact because the person placed the ad 2 months ago and only 14 miles have been added on)

The computer digits/letters are alittle messed up, a button is missing and when I turned off the car it said tail light failure used: , but they were still working (only when key was turned to on, they didnt work when key was out--not sure if thats normal in bmws)

Other than that the car made no wierd sounds, didn't seem like any leaks after checking, just alittle loud due to the needed oil change.any suggestions? Also how do I check if the waterpump is good or going? I've been looking all summer and this is the best one I've seen so far..the last thing I want is an engine problem a week after I buy it!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 10:29 AM
5th Gear Member

RexKing86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to RexKing86
Sounds alright to me, but I would take it to a mechanic before you buy it to make sure all it needs is oil. I just had my coolant, and brake fluid flushed, belts replaced, plugs, oil, filter, etc and it was about $1000, so use that as leverage in the sale.

As for the radio, just go find a nice aftermarket one, they sound muchhhh better than the week stock one, evn with the stock speakers. (but I would eventually replace those too.) As for the OBC thing, just have it check out, they can be weird sometimes, mine once and a while will tell me something like "rear brake circuit" when nothing is wrong...

Good luck! but my biggest tip would be to call a mechanic in his area before buying.

#3 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 11:41 AM
n00b

Nyew3666 has a spectacular aura about Nyew3666 has a spectacular aura about Nyew3666 has a spectacular aura about
(Thread Starter)
I was planning on going with a mechanic friend, coolant, afew bottles of oil (in case I do buy it I dont want to drive it like that all the way back to long island), but I will definetly use the fluid issue for leverage. I don't know how I forgot to mention it in the first post but there was a low-toned sound when I made two u-turns to the left, maybe power steering? Thanks Rex!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)