Just Bought my First BMW, Need Help with Problems, Need Good VA Mechanic - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 02:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BrianXE36 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation Just Bought my First BMW, Need Help with Problems, Need Good VA Mechanic

I bought a '97 328i yesterday and I was loving it until about 100 miles down the road when the 'Check Engine Light' came on. I took it to the local AutoZone, got the codes run, these were the results...
[P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)]
[P0455 Evaporative Emission Control System Tank Detected (gross leak)]
Now I'm no car tech, but these sound like expensive fixes. I'm positive that the wanks at the dealership reset the code and sold it . Are these fixes expensive? What should I do? I want to take it to a GOOD mechanic and get them to check it out. I live in Fredericksburg, VA and am looking for one nearby. I'm 18, going to college, and quite frankly seem stuck with this car without any extra money. Can you help me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 10:38 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Went to the mechanic today, Here's the results... Catalytic Converter is bad (doesn't the '97 328i have 3 of them?) needs replaced. I'm thinking about replacing the whole exhaust but I really don't want it to sound like a rice rocket with a fart can on the back... Purge valve has gone bad causing the Evap system error (how much does that cost?) Valve cover gasket needs replaced. Power steering pump and hose needs cleaned, it's leaking... and the tires need balanced. Any input?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybayonne View Post
I eat, sleep, & breathe BMW
#3 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 11:46 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
That seems like the kind of situation that needs quotes from several shops. Also, I'd try to isolate which of the cats is bad; it may not be necessary to replace all of them.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#4 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 02:45 AM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the reply witeshark, glad to see you in here. You were good to all of us back at UB.

Quote:
#5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 10:07 AM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Best of luck getting it sorted!

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 03:50 PM
1st Gear Member

coolvegase34 is an unknown quantity at this point
The valve cover gasket cost me 250 at my bmw shop for my 5 series. Cats are expensive on any car. Good luck
#7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Mr. Clean

BimmerE39 will become famous soon enough
Garage
The valve cover gasket, steering pump, and tire alignment isn't too bad of a job. I'm wondering though if your O2 sensors have gone bad as well. I'm assuming that you have pre-cats on your headers which collect further down the line to a larger primary cat. I would definitely have a shop take a look at it and have them give you a suggestion.
#8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 10:22 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Did a TON of research on my day off today. Found a site called partsgeek.com that has the gasket set and purge valve at some great prices. Links here:Purge Valve and Valve Cover Gasket Set. That gasket set doesn't include the sealing washers. I'm sure those need replaced as well, how many are on this car? As for the Cat, I'm going to the exhaust shop to get an estimate on an install. I'll just replace the whole thing, Virginia, at least my county, doesn't test for emissions. Any suggestions on a good exhaust that's not too loud...

Quote:

Last edited by BrianXE36; 08-23-2009 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Corrected Hyperlinks
#9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 11:01 PM
Mr. Clean

BimmerE39 will become famous soon enough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianXE36 View Post
Did a TON of research on my day off today. Found a site called partsgeek.com that has the gasket set and purge valve at some great prices. Links here:Purge Valve and Valve Cover Gasket Set. That gasket set doesn't include the sealing washers. I'm sure those need replaced as well, how many are on this car? As for the Cat, I'm going to the exhaust shop to get an estimate on an install. I'll just replace the whole thing, Virginia, at least my county, doesn't test for emissions. Any suggestions on a good exhaust that's not too loud...
Yeah...you're going to want the sealing washers as well. Exhausts are a different story. If you throw in a high flow cat for example with no resonator and no muffler then your exhaust is going to be loud. Right now I have factory headers, factory cat, custom bent straight pipe (cat-back) with a magnaflow 14816 street series muffler on the end. This is what it sounds like...

#10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 11:28 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
That's a nice exhaust BimmerE39, I wouldn't mind that on my 328i. Does anyone know how many of THESE sealing washers I need. And do I need THIS valve cover mount or THESE O-rings or will the sealing washers do the job. The mechanic I took it to said it was leaking oil so I want to be safe.

Quote:

Last edited by BrianXE36; 08-23-2009 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Corrected Typos
#11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 05:12 PM
Neutral Member

kylek325i is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to kylek325i
Hey man heres my advice. I just did the valve cover cover gasket job- real easy with basic tools. Buy the kit from pelicanparts.com or bavauto.com or somewhere, that way you get the exact parts you need. I reused the rubber bolt gaskets (what youre calling the sealing washers) cause they were in OK shape (and i have a 94). If the O2 sensors havent been done in a while, that could be youre problem here on the CEL. You should run some fuel system cleaner through your system and replace the fuel filter (not hard either). Start with the small stuff first and see if that fixes it. Not sure which valve is the purge valve but replace it if you think you can do it yourself.

The power steering system can be bled and refilled easily, buy a manual or search around on how to do it, you dont need to take anything apart. Tighten down any clamps you can or replace them with new ones.

If you are heading off to school, I would get an alignment/ rotation and balance from a good shop especially if you are driving a ways. Tires are expensive and you want to make sure they are well taken care of. Check air pressure too.

Replacing your cats/ exhaust is not cheap...Id do it only if you have to for inspection or if its too loud to stand.

Just be sure to research each issue as much as you can, before you pay some mechanic all your beer money to do a job you can probably do yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)