BMW Werkz banner

Just Bought 325i - Maintence Questions

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  FruityOne 
#1 ·
I just bought this 92 325i and wanted to do some maintence to it. What all do you guys do when you 1st buy a BMW? This is my 1st and want it to last a while.

The seller told me he put sythetic oil in the car, is there anyway to test that? The car has 193k on it and I dont want to put synthetic in it and swell the seals then have a leak. What would you do?

Also the tranny was rebuilt 20k ago. Should I switch over to Sythetic ATF? It shifts great now btw.

#3 ·
Originally posted by Fruityone@Nov 23 2004, 06:38 PM
what makes you think synthetic will make the seals swell?
[snapback]236251[/snapback]​

Im not sure about BMWs. In my experiences with other cars that have high mileage and then switch to sythetic from regular motor oil causes seals to swell and thus creates leaks. Correct me if Im wrong here.

#4 ·
its not the seals swelling and then leaking. its because the synthetic oil removes the deposits left by the previous oils. and if deposits were left in the seals then they start to leak. i dunno id rather have new clean seals then oil seals held together with deposits.

#6 ·
Try to find out if the car has always (or more recently) been serviced with synthetic...if not...I wouldn't switch at this point...or if you do...maybe just a blend...

#7 ·
if the car already has synthetic in it....i wouldnt go back...simply because its not recommended. and that crap about seals blowing/swelling/cracking is a bunch of shit

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.