BMW Werkz banner

Just Bought A 1995 325i

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  SemiPerfect 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, and new to BMW.. I own a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon and wanted a 2nd car for travel to work.. figured BMW would be a good solid car.

Anyways, I paid $4600 for this 4DR 1995 325i.. has 123,110 miles showing on the title dated 6/1/04.. owner stated odometer recently went out.. I ran CarFax on the vehicle, everything checked out on the mileage, and no other issues..

First question is, can the odometer be fixed? Could it be a fuse perhaps? I checked the fuse box, but it didnt show any fuses labeled for just the ODOMETER.. Also, it appears the clock on the on-board computer is not working, but the computer itself works just fine...

Second question (problem), is that my car has a auto transmission with the M (manual) swith on the console.. If I use manual mode, there is a growling sound when i am in 1st moving to 2nd.. 3rd gear makes no noise whats so ever.. If I put the car in Automatic mode, there is usually a knock after shifting from 1st to 2nd gear, but it doesnt happen all the time... Also, for some reason, the car is able to drive in Auto and on the 3rd gear, and the vehicle shifts through the gears just fine with no problems or knocks, have no clue why this is..

Anyways, when I bought the car, i knew I would need to do some work on the transmission, hopefully it wont have to be rebuilt, perhaps a synchro and perhaps a couple bad gears needing to be replaced..

Just curious what everyone else thinks of my predictament..

See less See more
#3 ·
you'll need to replace the whole cluster... I might have mine for sale within the next couple of weeks. has 153k showing on it but it works fine and I'll sell it for CHEAPO.

Your tranny is fubared. What I'd do is get this stuff called transx and put that in your auto tranny fluid. mechanics at a tranny shop will say this stuff sucks. mechanics outside of a tranny shop will this stuff works great. My ex gfs bimmer was having similiar issues and I put some of that in there on the advice of a family mechanic and the tranny never made noises again.

#4 ·
Originally posted by jrhaile@Oct 10 2004, 10:12 PM
you'll need to replace the whole cluster... I might have mine for sale within the next couple of weeks. has 153k showing on it but it works fine and I'll sell it for CHEAPO.

Your tranny is fubared. What I'd do is get this stuff called transx and put that in your auto tranny fluid. mechanics at a tranny shop will say this stuff sucks. mechanics outside of a tranny shop will this stuff works great. My ex gfs bimmer was having similiar issues and I put some of that in there on the advice of a family mechanic and the tranny never made noises again.
[snapback]208953[/snapback]​
haha, well, my tranny isnt just making the knocking noise and growling, it seems to not want to shift just right all the time when in auto.. but its intermittent and stuff, not sure the fluid you mentioned would do anything other then cover up the problem..

As far as the cluster, i am just curious, is there a seperate ODOMETER that would tell the cluster what my actual mileage is? Reason I ask is, i wont the actual milegage of my car shown.. And when I signed my title, we left the ODOMETER reading blank b/c the odometer was malfunctioning..

But out of curiousity, how much would u sell the cluster for/

#5 ·
you might just need to change the fluid in it too man. Also it could be the trans ecu which I have one of those for cheap as well.

and the cluster, I don't know how much for it.. whatever is fair. I'm buying a new one what the little ///m logo on it :p

I also don't know about a seperate odometer...I believe you can set these things to whatever mileage you want to...

#6 ·
Originally posted by jrhaile@Oct 10 2004, 10:37 PM
you might just need to change the fluid in it too man. Also it could be the trans ecu which I have one of those for cheap as well.

[snapback]208972[/snapback]​
yeah, I called a transmission place, going to drop it off to them tomorrow.. They said they cant hook it up to the computer cuz they dont have the software, but they would check my fluid levels and test drive it and stuff for me. See if it's the transmission fluid perhaps.. They said they would do other tests, but he idnt explain further.. But its free, so it all good..I just hope it's nothing major..

After I get done with transmission shop, going to take it to a mechanic my family uses, will likely have him due a tuneup on the car, then I'll probably take it to BMW service center and have them look at my odometer.. I need to get it fixed before i can get my inspection sticker.

#7 ·
Originally posted by SemiPerfect@Oct 10 2004, 08:03 PM
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, and new to BMW.. I own a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon ....
[snapback]208915[/snapback]​
HEHE right there is your first problem... LOL just kidding... If the Trans light doesnt illuminate than the problem is probably something mechanical rather than electronic..... The symbol is a gear with an exclamation mark in the middle of it..

-Al.

#8 ·
Originally posted by amancuso+Oct 11 2004, 01:11 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(amancuso @ Oct 11 2004, 01:11 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-SemiPerfect@Oct 10 2004, 08:03 PM
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, and new to BMW.. I own a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon ....
[snapback]208915[/snapback]​
HEHE right there is your first problem... LOL just kidding... If the Trans light doesnt illuminate than the problem is probably something mechanical rather than electronic..... The symbol is a gear with an exclamation mark in the middle of it..

-Al.
[snapback]209353[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

No, that symbol does not light up.. But heres what does light up..

The far right airbag light is lit... And to the left of it, there is a red CIRCLE w/ 6 stripes around it lit as well.. I dont have the owners manual to this vehicle, so I dont know what that means.. I'm guessing there is a bad sensor or something on the airbag thing.. but no idea wha the other symbol means

taking my car to a transmission place tomorrow.. unfornunately, they'll only be able to check the fluid and test drive it, they dont have the right software to test my particula rmodel.. but they're doing it for free.. and if i have to get my tranny rebuilt, i want them to do it cuz they are trustworthy..

please advise what you guys think that mysterious light is though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.