Ist time BMW do it your selfer - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 09:31 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sburton is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation Ist time BMW do it your selfer

I just replaced my belt that drives the alternator , power steering, and the water pump. As well, I replaced the water pump and the fan blade i did remove the air intake during this for easier access. Now I have everything put back together and the check engine light is on at low rps also when you try to take off and let the clutch out the engine cuts out. Unless you give it higher rpms. the check engine light also goes off when you give it higher rpms.
I had a friend helping me and when he was taking the in take out he busted a nipple. I epoxied it back together but in fear of breaking it again I didn't tighten the hose clamp as tight as I normally would its lightly snugged if you know what I mean...PLEASE HELP ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 09:36 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
Could very well be a vacuum leak right there (would really only matter if it was after the MAF though).

btw, What model is this on; might help us diagnose a little better.

#3 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 09:41 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
oops ya it might ...It is a 94 325i ran perfect before i broke a belt
#4 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 09:42 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
what is the MAF if you dont mind me asking
#5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 09:53 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
Air flow meter/sensor. It's on the intake piping. http://data.bmrparts.com/qimages/p/8260025065837U_1.jpg

If that nipple is after it (meaning closer to the intake manifold), then a vacuum leak due to a broken nipple could make a difference.

Btw, what I suggest you do since you get a check engine light is to do a 'stomp test' and get the code and see what the code is for. I'm having a hard time attaching the e36 service manual, but if you go to the 5 series subforum and download the Bentley manual that's pinned to the top of the forum, that has the procudure contained (under Engine > Driveability troubleshooting): it's exactly the same.

#6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 10:18 PM
Millions of them.

#7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 10:56 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
this is definitely better then the Chiltons manual I picked up. Not to be lazy but where or what chapter do I go to to do a stomp test . please excuse my ignorance but I have no idea of what a stomp test is
#8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 10:59 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Oh My God This manual is so much simpler than what I have. Again I thank you
#9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 11:06 PM
Millions of them.

On the left sidebar hit Engine, then scroll down to Driveability troubleshooting.

#10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 11:16 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
thanks again it just finished downloading i was lookiig it over and you said it perfectly it is alot more comprehensive than anything I've seen
#11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 11:21 PM
Millions of them.

Let us know what code(s) you get; also look over the belt replacement procedure and make sure you didn't forget to reconnect something.

#12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 11:21 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
I'll keep my eye on this thread as you suggested I am learning alot about this german engineering. The performance of these cars could tur anyone into a BMW lover no matter how complex the engineering is
#13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 11:23 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
OK will do tomorrow and ill post thanks again
#14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 11:24 PM
Millions of them.

You're welcome; that's what I'm here for. hah

#15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 11:24 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
obviously I meant to say German engineering earlier. I hope my typing didn't insult anyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)