Introduction E36 318i from Sydney with a bad smell and a CCV issue - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 07:39 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
chapps is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Introduction E36 318i from Sydney with a bad smell and a CCV issue

Hello all,

My first thread so bear with me please. A month ago I purchased a dark blue (that’s the color that was on the paper work and I can not find a plate under the bonnet to indicate anything different) 1996 E36 318i (M43) with 133k on the clock (odometer) Sydney Australia for $8000.

So far very impressed with the purchase apart from a few very unpleasant idling instances that I am sure are not over with yet. Man she goes round corners just as fast as she does the straights never had a car that handles like this.

For 3 weeks I have browsed through the last 55 pages or so from the E36 forum and a few other forums on the site and find a wealth of help and info thanks up front.

Now for the car just a couple of things if you wouldn’t mind commenting on please?

1) A bad smell when the air-con/heater blower is running, no smell when the blower is off. Anyway I figure I need to change the micro-filter and can remember a comment about the filter being on the right of the go pedal on the right hand drive cars could anyone confirm this for me please before I dismantle the passenger side?

2) 2 weeks ago I noticed that the breather pipe to the CCV valve has been cut and plugged on the CCV side. Anyway started the car to go home from work a week or so ago and she whistled, coughed and farted when I could stop it from stalling, (the car not the wife) opened the bonnet and fiddled around in the dark and found the cap on the top of the CCV missing and more by luck than by better judgment happened to cover the hole in the centre of the CCV looking for the whistle and the idle improved instantly, found the cap put it back on, cable tied it the next morning, that told me why its been plugged. Pulled the CCV off the next morning couldn’t understand what the hell it did cleaned it up, reconnected the plugged hose.

Since then I have read somewhere that the CCV has a flap inside, not mine I can't even see where it was attached. Could someone confirm that the CCV has some sort of a flap inside please at $135 to replace the CCV do I need this flap what does to do?

Thanks for any and all help

Chapps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Welcome to the Werkz....

On the CCV, after you cleaned & installed it, has this corrected the problem.....the flap is internal, you can't see it.....

the cabin filter....link below:

Cabin_Filter

johnny,

Last edited by johnnyBgood; 02-09-2009 at 08:18 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 08:40 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Johnny,

Well the cable tie seems to have stopped the cap from coming off, the cleaning was basically washing out a small quantity of what looked like oily dirt. The idle is now pretty much only at cold starts and some starts are not perfect but are not really a problem either.

Johnny, Any idea the long term effect of plugging the CCV apart from not needing to clean the CCV again?

Thanks for the cabin filter link I noticed your driving on the wrong side of the road living in NJ so your filter will be passenger side under the glove box. In Aus we drive on the right side of the road do you think BMW would keep it in your passenger side (my driver side or not)?

Thanks,
Chapps
#4 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 09:11 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapps View Post
Johnny,

Well the cable tie seems to have stopped the cap from coming off, the cleaning was basically washing out a small quantity of what looked like oily dirt. The idle is now pretty much only at cold starts and some starts are not perfect but are not really a problem either.

Johnny, Any idea the long term effect of plugging the CCV apart from not needing to clean the CCV again?

Thanks for the cabin filter link I noticed your driving on the wrong side of the road living in NJ so your filter will be passenger side under the glove box. In Aus we drive on the right side of the road do you think BMW would keep it in your passenger side (my driver side or not)?

Thanks,
Chapps
It would only make sense, that it is on your passenger side (Aus. left), with a steering column, brake pedal, gas pedal etc. I could not picture it fitting under there..on the right....
As for the CCV valve.....it was probaly clogged & the easiest fix was to disconnect it.....clogged the crankcase would not vent & cause excessive pressure in the crankcase & cause possible oil leaks, but if there are no signs, I would not worry about it.....

johnny,

#5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 03:16 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Johnny,

Again thanks for the reply back from work and morning now, no oil leaks so off it stays even though not much is exiting the breather now I'll put a flexable on the end of the breather and run it down lower.
Makes sense to be my left I now plan on pulling the passenger side apart and doing the job on the weekend.

Thanks again,
Marc
#6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 10:14 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapps View Post
Johnny,

Again thanks for the reply back from work and morning now, no oil leaks so off it stays even though not much is exiting the breather now I'll put a flexable on the end of the breather and run it down lower.
Makes sense to be my left I now plan on pulling the passenger side apart and doing the job on the weekend.

Thanks again,
Marc
You are welcome, any time...... Hope everything works out!

johnny,

#7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 04:21 PM
n00b

Jog5000 is an unknown quantity at this point
By the way, us South Africans and you Aussies - we all drive on the correct side - your micro filter is accesable from the drivers side - its pretty much in the center console, exactly in the same position as with or US counterparts....
#8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 07:43 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thank you Jogg5000,

The plan is to remove the filter Sunday and I would mot have been happy to remove the glove box, not find it then continue to dissmantle the remainder of the left side car interior until I reached the wheel.
You have indicated pretty much in the center console this should make it easier I would think to get at.
So you have really helped heaps thanks again.
I am guessing its not my plasticy smelly problem but I do need to look at it anyway.

Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)