intermittent gauge problem on my 95 m3 HELP!! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 07:52 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My3rdBimmer is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
intermittent gauge problem on my 95 m3 HELP!!

I posted this in the M section too but this area gets more action so i though i'd try here too...

Just got my 95 M3 yesterday... and i love it~!!!!

That being said, I bought it knowing it has been having an intermittant gauge cluster problem.. I also paid 1200 less than what they were asking becasue of it..

symptoms:
-the gauge cluster will cut out..

-all gauges will go to zero..

-the mileage indicator as well as all indicator (brakes check engine etc) lights will go out seemingly for no reason that i can reproduce.

-after a period of time everything will come back on..

-all the lights will flash and the dinger will ding jus like it would if you just turned the ignition on.. the car runs fine through all this....

-The dash illumination lights stay on (when the headlights are on ) like they should..

-it just seems to effect the instrumentation.

the longer i drive the less it happens it seems....

This car was meticulously maintained by the dealership..every oil change and service done... and only had 64,000 miles on it just had its inspection 2 and the dealership replace the ignitionswitch thinking it would correct the problem.. the owner decided to buy a new M5 and did not want to put any more money into the problem.

the only gauge related problem i can see in this thing's history is hat the fuel sending units were changed out in 97.

i am a pretty good mechanic with a little below average electrical and electronic skills so i defer to you experts out there.. is any on else having or have had this problem

thank you in advance for your help..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 08:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Redbullrr is on a distinguished road
I would check the connection on the back of the cluster, there hard to get unplugged but it happens. I had a similar problem were it would go out and in, then my miles would spike up and down. Check the plugs before checking anything else.
#3 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 09:20 AM
n00b

kmf60 is on a distinguished road
Check for ground!
#4 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 10:32 AM
/Banned

preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash
Send a message via AIM to preyash Send a message via MSN to preyash Send a message via Yahoo to preyash
+1 i would check for ground and have a look at the instrument cluster connector.
#5 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 02:10 PM
2nd Gear Member

e36surge is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to e36surge Send a message via MSN to e36surge
This link is for removing your cluster to change out the bulbs. Loosen the cluster (you do not need to remove) and check hehind to see if the connections in the rear of the cluster are fastened properly.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/...usterbulbs.htm
#6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 02:20 PM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
you need a new gauge cluster, its a common problem, ive had to replace mine and i know lots who have had to as well. there are places that do fix them but usually they give you a new one and take your old one as a core charge. i have not seen a DIY fix for it though. just get a new cluster and your all set. btw there is a DIY on how to remove and replace the cluster in the FAQ forum

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)