BMW Werkz banner

Interior fan isnt working properly, need advise...

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  answ29 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm a proud owner of a used 328i, and I'm new to this forum. I didn't realize it at the time, but interior fan speed doesn't really adjust very well. Also when I turn off my interior fan, I can hear another fan (not the same one that cools down the car) keep running. It is as if the car is trying to suck in air, but it doesn't actually reach the interior because the interior fan is off. I plan to bring the car in for a check, but I was wondering if I can fix this problem myself. Has anyone experienced this problem?

Anson

#2 ·
If you have electronic controls for you heating/air conditioning (push buttons and not rotary dials), you may want to check your heating final zone resistor.
On 318's this is located under the dash just to the right of the gas pedal. It's buried quite well. You may want the dealer to show you one so you can recognize the back of it when you're looking at all the stuff under there.

As for the second fan running after you shut the car off, unless the engine has been running hot and the rad fan is on, then I believe this is not a fan noise but the heating/ac electronics (just behing the radio) going through a shut-down procedure. It's normal. Come back after a while and you should notice the noise gone.

Hope this helps.

#3 ·
Thank you for the advice. The sound is coming from the vents right under the windshield wipers, and it comes on when the car is in staring position and when the car is on. It is constantly on until the car is turned off. I am bringing it to a mechanic to have it checked tomorrow.

Best Regards,

Anson

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.