Interesting Voltage Regulator info... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 02:18 AM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Spook is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I read this earlier in an online article posted from the BMW CCA site (under Tech Help, in the archives). Found it interesting, if nothing else, but I thought I'd post it here. The below is not my personal advice (as I don't have anywhere near enough knowledge to suggest such things); it is posted only to help those who know enough to use the information. Maybe get a word from one of the tech-ier guys on here whether they've tried this? Hope it helps someone.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Voltage Regulator Cross Reference

All voltage regulators in BMW four- and six-cylinder models are the same, with the exception of the new 3, 5, 6 and 7 series. The BMW part number is 12 32 8 708 000, which is a Bosch 0190 600 010. The white tape around the base of the can indicates that it is of the radio noise suppression type. Yellow tape indicates that it has no suppression. If you have been plagued with radio interference, check your voltage regulator. If you happen to be out in the boonies and in need of a regulator, a Ford Motorcraft GRE388-A is a Bosch 0190 600 010. The only difference is that it says "Ford" on the top of the.can. If you don't care about an exact lookalike, a Standard VR124 or a NAPA VR503 should do the trick for a lot less money.

You would be amazed at the number of different automobiles that use this same voltage regulator. For example, certain Alfas, Audis, Mercedes, Opels, Saabs, Volkswagens, and Volvos make use of it. So don't panic if you're shut down forty miles from nowhere, you have a number of alternatives to investigate.

Stan Simm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 02:21 AM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Spook is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Oh, thought I'd mention this...Yes, I fully believe using the OEM type voltage regulator is best, and the price for them usually isn't too bad. Just thought that article might help someone stranded in a small town sometime without a dealer nearby with the BMW labled part or the like. Also, the white versus yellow tape thing was interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)