intake question - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 08:08 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bmw_m3power is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I found some cheap intakes on ebay but they don't have heat shield, so my question is do the intake really need to have heat shield on?

my 94 325is has very slow accelerations did anybody has any idea why is like that? I have to push the A/M bottom to get fast accelerations. my friend told me it could be the pistons( hopefully is not, cost lot $$ to fix) but his car is mazda so....

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 10:14 PM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
Quote:
Originally posted by bmw_m3power@Jan 1 2004, 07:48 PM
I found some cheap intakes on ebay but they don't have heat shield, so my question is do the intake really need to have heat shield on?

my 94 325is has very slow accelerations did anybody has any idea why is like that? I have to push the A/M bottom to get fast accelerations. my friend told me it could be the pistons( hopefully is not, cost lot $$ to fix) but his car is mazda so....

thanks
ya unfortunately a mazda isnt a BMW, how the hell would he know its the pistons? :lol: all that aside...............
yes get a heatshield its best you do.

cold air=more power because the air is more dense, if you are sucking in hot air then your really only getting the same performance if not worse. id rather keep the stock airbox with a K&N insert over an intake with no shield.... all in all you wont see any significant performance gains from an intake to begin with , my CAI really isnt noticeable at all.

#3 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 12:54 AM
Neutral Member

twckxbzd is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to twckxbzd
Is your car an automatic? if it is you wont really get a fast acceleration like a manual. you could do a tranny swap to a manual or dinan has a auto tranny chip that is supposed to change the shift points at full throttle.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 01:32 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by Furious+Jan 1 2004, 10:54 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Furious @ Jan 1 2004, 10:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bmw_m3power@Jan 1 2004, 07:48 PM

thanks
ya unfortunately a mazda isnt a BMW, how the hell would he know its the pistons? :lol: all that aside...............

cold air=more power because the air is more dense, if you are sucking in hot air then your really only getting the same performance if not worse. id rather keep the stock airbox with a K&N insert over an intake with no shield.... all in all you wont see any significant performance gains from an intake to begin with , my CAI really isnt noticeable at all. [/b][/quote]
will my friend went to local garage to check out with his mazda why it hestitade when he come to complete stop and want to go and mechanic told him is the pistons, and told him either get an different engine or use some kinda NASA oil(he told me 574 oil something like that), when I come to complete stop and want to go my bimmer doesn't hestitade but I have to step on the gas pedle really hard to get the car to move( if I didn't push the A/M bottom), the acceleration is very slow.

I guess I would get an intake with heat shield then, or go with what you told me. I see other bimmer that don't have the original intake box that why I want to change the intake, plus it boots up few hp right?

can I ask you one question what is CAI?
#5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 01:38 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by twckxbzd@Jan 2 2004, 01:34 AM
Is your car an automatic? if it is you wont really get a fast acceleration like a manual. you could do a tranny swap to a manual or dinan has a auto tranny chip that is supposed to change the shift points at full throttle.
yes, is automatic, please don't laught, I try to learn manua but no one could teach me not even my dad, he said be happy to what you have and don't wast time. no friend could help too, they don't want me to break their cluch or something.

can you please tell me where can you get the dinan auto tranny chip and how do I install it?

is there any other mods besides the intake and the exhaust(going to get both soon), header( too expensive) that will boots up my hp?

thanks
I appreciated
#6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 08:31 AM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
Quote:
Originally posted by bmw_m3power+Jan 2 2004, 01:12 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bmw_m3power @ Jan 2 2004, 01:12 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by Furious@Jan 1 2004, 10:54 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-bmw_m3power
Quote:
@Jan 1 2004, 07:48 PM

thanks

cold air=more power because the air is more dense, if you are sucking in hot air then your really only getting the same performance if not worse. id rather keep the stock airbox with a K&N insert over an intake with no shield.... all in all you wont see any significant performance gains from an intake to begin with , my CAI really isnt noticeable at all.
will my friend went to local garage to check out with his mazda why it hestitade when he come to complete stop and want to go and mechanic told him is the pistons, and told him either get an different engine or use some kinda NASA oil(he told me 574 oil something like that), when I come to complete stop and want to go my bimmer doesn't hestitade but I have to step on the gas pedle really hard to get the car to move( if I didn't push the A/M bottom), the acceleration is very slow.

I guess I would get an intake with heat shield then, or go with what you told me. I see other bimmer that don't have the original intake box that why I want to change the intake, plus it boots up few hp right?

can I ask you one question what is CAI? [/b][/quote]
a CAI is a Cold Air Intake system, instead of the filter sitting on top (visible in the engine bay, it goes all the way down to my break duct , in theory it will grab more cold air than a normal intake

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)