installing a perfomance chip - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2006, 01:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
cabrit is on a distinguished road
installing a perfomance chip

after installing a perfomance chip what steps need to be taking into account
i instaled a perfomance chip today and the car wouldnt start before removing the stock chip i had a check engine light which needs to be reset and after installing the perfomance chip the check engine light was off. tried to start the car but it wouldnt, i filled it up before installlation with 93 octane. when i put back the stock chip it starts with no hesitation. could the chip be defective or i am not doing something right.

any help would be appreciated thanks
cabrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2006, 09:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
/Banned

Car:
Photos:
Dirty Martini is on a distinguished road
Nothing special needs to be done once you install a chip, so that leads me to a few questions: 1. Are you sure the chip is the correct one for your ECU. In other words, did the seller ask you for the number on yoiur ECU and assure you that this was the chip for your ECU? 2. Is the seller reputable or some e-Bay chip cloner? All I'm trying to say is that chips are pretty much plug'n'play, so if the car doesn't start, but starts with the OEM setup, it's either the wrong chip (which is why I ask about the ECU number) or it's defective (guys on e-Bay and the like copy chips and sell them as Dinan, etc.)
Dirty Martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 11:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
they did asked me for the ecu number
and yes i bought that crap on ebay i had a feeling it wouldnt work but it was so cheap had i couldnt help it. thank god it didnt damage my car
Old 02-19-2006, 11:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: Needs momentum
Photos:
theruss1an1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to theruss1an1
Are you sure its on right? There is a notch on the chip, and there is a notch on the little chip port thing. Line them up.

-Serge
theruss1an1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 11:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Keep it Copacetic

Car: 1995 BMW M3
Photos:
///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
I dont think they sent you the right chip. Check out the dme number and call those bastards up.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
///M Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 04:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
i did call them they said they`ll send me another one and check the one i have my car is 1994 325i sedan the ecu is 261 200 413
one more thing i realized was that not only the chip removed the check engine light i had before but also when i put the stock chip back the check engine gave a code 1222 which is lamda control 1 which i think is oxygen sensor before that the code was 1444(no fault)
now i dont know if my oxygen sensor is weak or the chip is crap
the car does not idle roughly i dont really feel a loss of power with the stock chip
Old 02-20-2006, 08:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
/Banned

Car:
Photos:
Dirty Martini is on a distinguished road
OK, so the stock chip is back in the car while you wait for the new performance chip? If this is the case, then while you've got an essentially stable, known good system in place, lift your negative battery cable, count to ten, re-connect it(this clears your check engine light and ALL previously stored error codes) and start over. What you've got here is what we call "multiple issues". Fix them one at a time.

With all codes (including your stock radio's "anti-theft" code, make sure you know your secret-squirrel code before you lift that battery lead) cleared, you can find out if you really have any "check engine" issues. If you don't get a check engine light here in a day or two, you're good to go as far as emmision issues go. If you get a check engine light with the known good stock chip in place, suggest you solve that (those) issues before the performance chip goes in. Theennnn, try the whole performance chip thing.

Keep us posted....
Dirty Martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
i am going to try that see what happens
i`ll keep yall posted
Old 02-22-2006, 11:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
kyle_baker is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to kyle_baker Send a message via MSN to kyle_baker Send a message via Yahoo to kyle_baker Send a message via Skype™ to kyle_baker
is the chip the correct one for your cars model and month/year? also you could try putting the chip in in the opposite direction, it will not damage anything, if it is in incorrect it will simply not start, thats all. maybe it was just in backwards.
kyle_baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)