BMW Werkz banner

Installing Body Kit Instructions Please

5K views 34 replies 10 participants last post by  kyle_baker 
#1 ·
Hey, I am looking into buying the Hamman e36 body kit with m3 side skirts. I have heard of cases where people would buy body kits made for their vehicle and end up having to do cutting and lots of sanding and stuff to get them to fit their car properly. Could some one tell me if this will be the case if i do get this kit and put it on a 1993 325is, the kit is at... http://www.2loww.com/92-98BMW3serieskitspage.html ...if this is the case, that i will have to do cutting (sanding is expected) then please let me know some details about what i will need to do so i can go into this with alittle bit of know how. If you have gone through this yourself and could share some information on the steps it takes to put on your bodykit and what you used to hold it on with it would really help me out. Things like how to get everything straight and wheather or not to use body fill in the gaps (or not to use it if they are not very large gaps). I am just new to body kits and would like all the insight i can get. Thanx

#3 ·
Originally posted by El Presidente@Aug 31 2004, 11:27 PM
do not buy any of those. You would be ok to buy some of the lips, but all the kits are fiberglass.
so what you're saying is that i should not get a fiberglass kit? Should i get the ABS plastic or what should i get then and where can i get the hamman kit made that way? And by lips what part exactly is that? the front spoilers? Thanx in advanced el presidente

#4 ·
the second a pebble hits your kit on the free way while your moving toward sthe pebble at 70mph and the pebble is moving at nearly as fast your fiberglass will be fucked.

lets not forget curbs, plants and such. ABS or Urithane plastic will be more fleixble then fiberglass. and last longer.

#14 ·

someone wanna explain the M package on the 318ti?
has the M body kit has the upgraded suspension and the M-sport interior and MAYBE clutch not sure have to look it up and the pretty ///M on the side that will make ricers back down :D there also quite rare especially in the color mine is (which is only an ///M color) - not to gloat or anything honestly

~*Teg*~

#21 ·
Originally posted by skawful@Sep 1 2004, 11:24 PM
ya avus blue rules
and so does that 318ti
needs new rims/lowered/exhuast/tails/angel eyes
then it would be one sick ass ride
it's getting there! I am getting the tails done as soon as bavauto has my credit on my account then I'm orderin um up... wating on exaust untill Anthony has his welder fixed, if I couldn't lower that thing it already scrapes and bottoms out... so yea tails and then tint most likely :) I have made myself only get one thing for my car out of each paycheck so that I don't go broke! :)

~*Teg*~

#22 ·
hey, can someone with experience in working with fiberglass bodykits please give me some tips, tricks, and techniques on doing a good job of installing them? How exactly do these bodykits mount/attach on the sides? I want to keep them flush, so please all HELP is greatly appreciated. On and i have searched for this in google and the best i can find is that some people use "panel beaters" or something like that? i have no cue what it is or what it does or how to use one. I cannot afford a non fiberglass kit or i would get a better one, so that is why i'm going fiberglass, incase you wealthier people are wondering. BMP and Bav have the kit i want, but its also running around $3,200 and $700 sounds much better for my budget considering that in time they would both have problems (cheaper sooner of course), but please help me understand how to install a fiberglass body kit so it looks great. i will show pics when i finish (might be a while). please help ASAP!!!

#23 ·
I shall refer to a post in the FAQ section...

"How does this fake fiberglass M3 bumper bolt on?

No one knows. It turns out there is only one of those bumpers in existance and it is being sold over and over to different people after they realize that there is no way to bolt it on to their car. You're much better off buying a real M3 front bumper kit. PacificBMW.com sells a kit form for ~$300 that includes the correct brake ducts and the mouldings. The only other parts you'll need are a grill (you can choose slat or mesh style) and the "wedge sections" that cover under the foglights. Those parts add up to ~$70. Now I'm sure that you can find a fiberglass M3 bumper on eBay for less than $370, but remember to add up the extra cost in prepping low quality fiberglass for painting and installation. The real M3 bumper takes very little prep work before painting and installs easily with a perfect fit. Body shop labor is very expensive and the work to make a fiberglass bumper fit can quickly exceed the saving from the initial bumper purchase."

The point? DON'T BUY FIBERGLASS. Getting it to fit correctly will be a major challenge, and thats assuming it was made with a good mold. If you buy a really cheap one then not only will it be hard to mount, but the chance of it actually lining up is slim. I understand you want one, but ask yourself what the need for one is. Why buy a shitty one that will break the first time anything solid impacts it at over 3 mph? Save Save Save and buy a real one.

#25 ·
Originally posted by BMWbeauty416+Sep 2 2004, 09:09 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BMWbeauty416 @ Sep 2 2004, 09:09 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-skawful@Sep 1 2004, 11:24 PM
ya avus blue rules
and so does that 318ti
needs new rims/lowered/exhuast/tails/angel eyes
then it would be one sick ass ride
it's getting there! I am getting the tails done as soon as bavauto has my credit on my account then I'm orderin um up... wating on exaust untill Anthony has his welder fixed, if I couldn't lower that thing it already scrapes and bottoms out... so yea tails and then tint most likely :) I have made myself only get one thing for my car out of each paycheck so that I don't go broke! :)

~*Teg*~ [/b][/quote]
welder?
i thought uh catbacks bolted on...?

#26 ·
Originally posted by El Presidente@Sep 2 2004, 11:59 PM
I shall refer to a post in the FAQ section...

"How does this fake fiberglass M3 bumper bolt on?

No one knows. It turns out there is only one of those bumpers in existance and it is being sold over and over to different people after they realize that there is no way to bolt it on to their car. You're much better off buying a real M3 front bumper kit. PacificBMW.com sells a kit form for ~$300 that includes the correct brake ducts and the mouldings. The only other parts you'll need are a grill (you can choose slat or mesh style) and the "wedge sections" that cover under the foglights. Those parts add up to ~$70. Now I'm sure that you can find a fiberglass M3 bumper on eBay for less than $370, but remember to add up the extra cost in prepping low quality fiberglass for painting and installation. The real M3 bumper takes very little prep work before painting and installs easily with a perfect fit. Body shop labor is very expensive and the work to make a fiberglass bumper fit can quickly exceed the saving from the initial bumper purchase."

The point? DON'T BUY FIBERGLASS. Getting it to fit correctly will be a major challenge, and thats assuming it was made with a good mold. If you buy a really cheap one then not only will it be hard to mount, but the chance of it actually lining up is slim. I understand you want one, but ask yourself what the need for one is. Why buy a shitty one that will break the first time anything solid impacts it at over 3 mph? Save Save Save and buy a real one.
what do you mean when you say... "a kit form"? do you mean the front bumper or do you mean form as in you make the front bumper using a form they send? i'm confused on that, and i understand that the advantage to this kit is that it is capible of being bolted on whereas the cheaper ones come with no way of bolting them on?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.