BMW Werkz banner

Install New Lights

1K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  dopeyx27 
#1 ·
I installed my new clear tails and get a brake light failure message. I have heard that the dealer can fix this for me, by reseting it. Is this true or what do I need to do?

Also My right light blinks really fast like it is about to go out, is this related to the above or not? Please respond it is Friday and they are only open a couple of hours tomorrow. Plus I have been without my car for a couple of weeks and want to drive it around. Will it hurt anything to drive it like this?

#2 ·
Ok, I got help from another place. My stealth bulb in my smoked corners went out right after testing it. I put back in my orange(egg yolky) bulb and they all work fine now including no check light coming on. The back doesn't blink fast the front lights up fine. I can now drive it but have to replace the stealth bulbs. I believe Bavauto.com should be able to do that since i was testing them and did not drive with them in or anything.

#3 ·
UPDATE: I thought it was working fine, but now I get the check message again on my OBC. It says "tail light failure" but they are all working fine. Can the dealer reset this or how do I fix it?

#4 ·
Originally posted by jshearer@May 13 2005, 11:20 PM
UPDATE: I thought it was working fine, but now I get the check message again on my OBC. It says "tail light failure" but they are all working fine. Can the dealer reset this or how do I fix it?
[snapback]344401[/snapback]​
I have the same problem as you I have a set of German made white and red taillights and brand new set of I believe taiwan or chinese tailights also they identical look identical. I get the same message on my OBC when i turn on my tailights. I've changed new bulbs but still get the same problem. I've heard also that the dealer can reset this problem but I'm not certain.

#5 ·
Originally posted by keikun+May 14 2005, 01:21 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(keikun @ May 14 2005, 01:21 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-jshearer@May 13 2005, 11:20 PM
UPDATE:  I thought it was working fine, but now I get the check message again on my OBC.  It says "tail light failure" but they are all working fine.  Can the dealer reset this or how do I fix it?
I have the same problem as you I have a set of German made white and red taillights and brand new set of I believe taiwan or chinese tailights also they identical look identical. I get the same message on my OBC when i turn on my tailights. I've changed new bulbs but still get the same problem. I've heard also that the dealer can reset this problem but I'm not certain.
[snapback]344437[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

Maybe I'm lost because my lights are all stock... I still have to ask... have you checked if it's a blown fuse?

#7 ·
Originally posted by BeachBunny+May 14 2005, 04:35 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BeachBunny @ May 14 2005, 04:35 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by keikun@May 14 2005, 01:21 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-jshearer
@May 13 2005, 11:20 PM

[snapback]344437[/snapback]​
Maybe I'm lost because my lights are all stock... I still have to ask... have you checked if it's a blown fuse?
[snapback]344446[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

if it was a blown fuse the lights wouldnt work at all!

#8 ·
It is something related to a different resistance or similar. There is no real fix for it although it doesn't hurt anything to have the code on either. It is a "tail light failure" code and as long as I press the check button goes away in a couple of minutes. It only comes on at night when i turn my lights on and during the day is fine. All the lights work fine too. I also still get a "brake light failure" code if I have a bulb out. I am going to live with it, but let people know that if you try to cut corners be prepared for it. I even bought a better quality light and not a real cheap one of ebay. They are great looking and not cheap looking plastic. The light is better quality than some of the ebay ones too. So that is it, I get an error code and a good looking light for half the OEM price oh well I can spend the extra money on a good CAI.

#9 ·
I believe it does have something to do with resistance. You did mention that it only trips at night. You might be able to put a resister in parrallel with the bulbs to lower the resistance that the obc see's. It might be worth a try if you're really determined to fix this.

#10 ·
I had that problem before also. I found the perfect fix. If your taillights came with instructions, it should show that you have to actually get the tail light and cut of a piece of metal that is contacting each other. Its a fairly simple process, I would help you but I hate taking out my tail lights. Well ill try to explain it as simple as I could. Behind both of your tail lights, there should be metal plates all around it. On one of those metal plates, your supposed to cut off the connection between one of them on each of the tail lights. The process is also reversable, you could weld it back on if you would like. I hope this really helps you, I had that problem for like 1 week straight and I got so annoyed I actually read the instructions and found out what I did wrong. Let me know if you have any more questions.

#13 ·
I know about the "cut the bridge" trick but these have no bridge to be cut. My only option is new lights or live with it. I am not going to worry about it and live with it. It is only at night and even then if I press the check button or wait a couple of minutes the error code goes away. Plus everything works fine.

Slvr - I would have bought from bavauto but they no longer sell the normal clear lights(looked online for a while and they don't show them anymore). They carry the new led ones. The dealer sells real OEM ones for $145 a light, and I did not want to spend $300 on lights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.