BMW Werkz banner

Inspection light

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Fadec40 
#1 ·
Is there any way to reset the inspection light in my M3? I know i can take it to a dealer, but it's gonna cost alot of money. Is there a reset tool that i can buy or anyway that i can reset it without takin it to a dealer? Thanks

#4 ·
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/electrica...ice_lights.html

I did mine practically for free, I used a paperclip. I bent the ends into a U shape so it'd stick in the holes firmly. Short pins 7 and 19 with the paperclip for however many seconds you need. Pin 19 is ground, which is the same as the car body stated in the article. No need for a long wire, 50$ reset "tool" or any of that shit. Paperclip does the trick.

Rest of the procedure is as stated in that artcile, 3 seconds for oil lights, 9 seconds for service & oil lights.

I have a 1998, ODBII, worked without problems. (I even shorted the wrong pins at first few times, no fuses blown, no problems thus far :p )

#6 ·
I'm not much for shorting out anything that has to do with my ECU on my car... that just doesnt seem like a good working practice to me... thats just down right dumb in my opinion.....

You can buy a took made by Peake research.... it resets your service indicator... and your oil indicator.... and if your check engine light comes on... it will also tell you what codes your computer is sending out and tell you whats wrong with your car... its a pretty good tool... and it works for all e36's... but nothing past 2000... I think.... I would do it this way... it might cost 100 or so dollars... but as many times your gonna use it... its worth it... considering... the fact that if you accidently hit the wrong pin with the paper cut... there goes your computer..... and replacing one of those... is not cheap. its a lot more than 100 or so dollars... your choice though.. thats my opinion.

#7 ·
Thanks alot. I will just be sure to be extra careful wit the paperclip. Where can I buy a reset tool that u were talkin bout? 100 dollars sound like a lot to reset a light that doesn't matter but if i keep the car, like i intend to do, it would be a good idea. Thanks

#8 ·
All the reset tool does it ground that pin automatically when you tell it to recent the oil light or the service light. It's just like the BIOS on your computer, you move the jumper pin on it and it erases the information that it was storing.

Kevin

#9 ·
Originally posted by 97alpineM3@Jun 29 2004, 05:49 PM
I'm not much for shorting out anything that has to do with my ECU on my car... that just doesnt seem like a good working practice to me... thats just down right dumb in my opinion.....
thats *EXACTLY* what the tool does!!! Only thing is that it grounds it for 3 or 9 seconds specifically.

You must be thinking "short" as in short circuit, thinking that doing this is bad. Short circuiting a power source, That's bad, this is different. It's made to do this.

Well said kevin, Think of it as a paperclip jumper. It wont hurt the car unless you short the wrong pins, in which case you'll probably just blow a fuse.

#11 ·
Hey Alpine since you've got OBD II check out a "Drive Right Car Chip." It plugs into your OBDII port and reads off your speed and anytime you brake hard or accelerate hard. It's kinda nifty to have for racing. I only wish my car were OBD II. We use it in my dad's truck when he races it. Anytime I drive it I make sure I know if it's in there.... just in case. It can also read OBDII codes... but you've already got a tool for that.

Kevin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.