Inserting Fog Lights where they are none? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2004, 01:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
quality

Car: 2001 330i & 2011 550i
Photos:
Delmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Thumbs up

A guy is selling fog lights with the switch and wires for E36 cars on ebay for $60. My 318i has foglight spacers and a space on the dash for the switch but there is no internal wiring for fogs, nor is there any hint of a setup to wire fogs in.

The guy tells me I can do it.

Previously the BMW dealership inspected my car a while back when I took it in. I asked BMW to insert fogs for me and after looking under my hood and dash the BMW mech told me there is no set up for fogs and it can't be done. used

Who is telling the truth here?
Attached Thumbnails
Inserting Fog Lights where they are none?-del2.jpg  

Old 09-08-2004, 01:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car: Dinan Stg 1 M3
Photos:
Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Slvr e39
Foglights can always be done, but the problem is, if i am correct, your battery is in the back....and thats where u need to get power from...unless there is a connection under the hood somewhere
Old 09-08-2004, 01:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Gibbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Gibbo
Hi dude,

Can be done.. I had the same problem with my 96' 318i. Sometime around the 94' 95' model 3 series they stopped putting the wiring in every car for the foglights. Used to come standard with wiring in every early 3 series etc.
BMW realised they could save cash by not installing the wiring by default in every car so they stop doing it and saved some $$.

I got my foggys for $170 AUD.

I had to by some clips/fog light mounting brackets for the front bar from BMW spares australia. Set me back about $15 AUD.

A qualified auto electrican can prob wire them up to your parker lights and install a switch in your dash for roughly $100 -$200 AUD.

On another note :
In Oz driving around with fog lights on when there is no fog is against the law and u can be fined. So its ideal if u have a switch so u can turn them off and so they dont automatically turn on with your parkers.

Hello to all the guys on this forums.. will post pics of my ride soon.

Cheers

- Gibbo
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 12:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
abemcclellan is an unknown quantity at this point
Bavarian Autosport go here and you'll find a kit, i believe its around $200. nice car dude. mine is the same color except a 94 325is.
abemcclellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 05:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
quality

Photos:
Delmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by abemcclellan@Sep 8 2004, 01:21 PM
Bavarian Autosport go here and you'll find a kit, i believe its around $200. nice car dude. mine is the same color except a 94 325is.
Thanks,
I'll check it out!
Old 09-08-2004, 05:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
quality

Photos:
Garage
Hey the Bav Auto Site says this

"Everything you need to install original BMW fog lights. Kit comes complete with left and right fog lights, fog light switch, relay, all mounting hardware and installation instructions. ** For pre-wired cars only. "

What does pre-wired means? I don't think my car is "pre-wired". At least that is what BMW told me.

Is there I way I can double check. I also don't get it; if the kit comes with mounting relay wires and a switch. Why does my car have to be "pre-wired"? Are fogs really all that technical?
Old 09-08-2004, 07:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Science Roolz!

Car: 2011 Mazda2, 1990 Miata
Photos:
SHAHAB323IS is a name known to allSHAHAB323IS is a name known to allSHAHAB323IS is a name known to allSHAHAB323IS is a name known to allSHAHAB323IS is a name known to allSHAHAB323IS is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to SHAHAB323IS
Quote:
Originally posted by Delmarco@Sep 8 2004, 06:30 PM
Hey the Bav Auto Site says this

"Everything you need to install original BMW fog lights. Kit comes complete with left and right fog lights, fog light switch, relay, all mounting hardware and installation instructions. ** For pre-wired cars only. "

What does pre-wired means? I don't think my car is "pre-wired". At least that is what BMW told me.

Is there I way I can double check. I also don't get it; if the kit comes with mounting relay wires and a switch. Why does my car have to be "pre-wired"? Are fogs really all that technical?
did you even read GIBBO's post that explains the "pre-wired" thing for you
Old 09-08-2004, 07:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Defector

Car:
Photos:
El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
Your car is not prewired. You must run a wire from the battery to the lights, or tap a power source under the hood, ideally using a relay triggered by the parking lights.
El Presidente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 07:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Power Shifting

Car:
Photos:
Cruzin 323is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Cruzin 323is
thats what i did... i bought a set of fogs from ebay, with wireing and braket... and installed them myself... i wired them up to the parking lights... the only hard part was getting the switch in... gl

stuff for sale on my e36.. CHeck it out!
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/aft...e36-49128.html
Cruzin 323is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 07:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
quality

Photos:
Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Cruzin 323is@Sep 8 2004, 08:26 PM
thats what i did... i bought a set of fogs from ebay, with wireing and braket... and installed them myself... i wired them up to the parking lights... the only hard part was getting the switch in... gl
Thanks!
I will have fogs soon.
You guys rock!

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)