Ignition Problem? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 11:54 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
So I get in my car about 5 mins ago. I turn the key, lights come on and the car doesn't start. Turn the key again and hold. This is now getting weird because the car has never had a problem starting ever. The car tries to start but fails. There is no clicking from the starter, so I try steppin on the gas as I turn the key, nothing. The car kinda surges an dis trying to start but just isn't. It sounds like something perhaps to do with starter, ignition coil, ignition wires... any clues? I'll be callin gin the morning to find out what my friend/mechanic says, only problem is I'm at college and he's 300+ miles a away. Any clues? I really don't know much about ignition system because I've never had problems with it before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 11:58 PM
/Banned

xsperf is an unknown quantity at this point
wait, is it cranking?
#3 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 01:22 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
just went back down. Tried a few more times, the engine started enough that the rpms finally jumped a bit. This gave me hope... so I kept trying and finally I got it to do it again and hit the gas several times and it started. Reved it for a bit and then turned off. Turned on again and it started, but barely. So I took it out and drove the crap out of it. Idle was a bit rough, but now is much better. So tommorow, fuel injector cleaner and fuel filter. Any thing that I should check out?
#4 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 10:59 AM
1st Gear Member

abemcclellan is an unknown quantity at this point
i would just do a basic tune-up and see if that helps. other than that if its something else like the timing belt, i'd take it to the shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)