Ignition problem - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2004, 10:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
wulley1 is an unknown quantity at this point
There have been a few times lately when I turn the key to start the car, but it doesn't turn over at all. If you turn the key back to the off position, and then try to start it again, it starts up like it should.

Is there a relay or something that could be starting to go bad? I'd rather replace it now, rather then wait until it completely fails, and am unable to start the car.

wulley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2004, 04:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
danny is an unknown quantity at this point
[SIZE=7]IM NOT TOO SURE BUT IM HAVING ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS AND MY 316 IT IS BOOKED INTO A AUTO ELECTRITION WEDNESDAY SO IF YOU DONT GET ANY ANSWERS BY THEN I WILL ASK WELL IM THERE DANNY
danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 11:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Defector

Car:
Photos:
El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
Mine does what you describe. Mostly when it is very hot or right after a short trip.

The anwer is a new starter. Mine has been doing for years and still doesn't need a replacement, as it is very rare. It actually hasn't done it much at all lately. Its been months.

The point: Spend $200 if you really want, but it may be a temp fluke that doesn't need addressing just yet.

And by yet I mean years.
El Presidente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 11:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Foehammer101 is an unknown quantity at this point
My 325i does the same thing. I live in Phoenix so it is more common but it always starts the second time. It's a little anoying, but if you don't want to shell out for a new starter, live with it.
Foehammer101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 10:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
nycbmw325is is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by El Presidente@Aug 15 2004, 11:45 PM
Mine does what you describe. Mostly when it is very hot or right after a short trip.

The anwer is a new starter. Mine has been doing for years and still doesn't need a replacement, as it is very rare. It actually hasn't done it much at all lately. Its been months.

The point: Spend $200 if you really want, but it may be a temp fluke that doesn't need addressing just yet.

And by yet I mean years.
200 bucks for the starter? Hell man, i ll tell ya what, I live in NYC, If my starter goes I will fly you in to NYC, put you up for the night at a hotel , pay the 200 bucks for the starter and you do the work. Unlike most cars, the starter on the 325's require you to remove the intake manifold (at least from what the mauals say, althoughif anyone has done this swap without pulling the manifold please let me know only for 325's with the I6 engine). Since I have just pulled this manifold recently i can tell you that it is a pain in the neck and you should plan on about 12 hours if you have never done it, and another 100 bucks in miscellaneous parts like vacuum hoses you will want to replace while you have the manifold off, the fitting for the ICV which you will almost certainly break, the 6 gaskets that go between the manifold and the head (10 bucks each from the stealer and yes if your car is more than 3-4 years old or more than 30-40K miles you will need to replace them, lest you get to do the job all over again when you find out the old ones leak!!!) Oh yeah you should also buy 2 extra nuts with built in washers that hold the manifold to the head.... the back one is a bit of a bitch to get to and you will drop it a couple of times before you finally get it started. Make no mistake changing the starter is not a DIY job for those with limited experiance. the potential for screwing something up is pretty big, if you dont have a good game plan, and are not systematic in your removal of parts (and using little baggies t store and mark which nuts bolts washers etc came from where.
nycbmw325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 11:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
wulley1 is an unknown quantity at this point
that;sthe first time I've heard the starter was that difficult to remove. What if you had a lift?
wulley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 11:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Defector

Car:
Photos:
glad I don't drive an i6.

Replacing the starter on the i4 is quite simple as acess is not restricted much at all. I also recall seeing a writeup on reomving the starter from below. I'll see if I can find it.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
nycbmw325is is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by El Presidente@Aug 16 2004, 12:24 PM
glad I don't drive an i6.

Replacing the starter on the i4 is quite simple as acess is not restricted much at all. I also recall seeing a writeup on reomving the starter from below. I'll see if I can find it.
If you can find that write up that would be most excellent. I am going by the Chilton manual that says remove the intake manifold. I would personally at least try getting it from underneath even if it ment cutting one of the bolts and replacing it from the opposite side.

Thanks
nycbmw325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 08:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
JiggaLee is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi To all!!! I'm a newbie so be nice =D

MY PROBLEMS:
My car runs w/o the key in it...For the past 6 months when i put my key into the ignition, it turns, and turns, and turns w/o starting. After turning it a couple times it finally works. And today when i was trying to turn the car off, the key came out but the car was still on! It was scary, felt like my car was possessed or something. Anywhoo~ i went to the dealership and he said that it would cost me about 800 bucks to fix it. So...any suggestions on what i should do? I can take it to non-dealerships to fix, but it's night now, and I want to know what other options i'll have, maybe i can fix it?!?! hehe...So help me out w/ your suggestions...Thanks!

OH...btw, my car is a 318ti 1996.

For now since it wouldn't turn off, i took the engine fuse or something like that off and unplugged the battery from the car. Probably won't be able to turn it on again until the starter's fixed huh?

KoomBahYah~
JiggaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 09:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Defector

Car:
Photos:
YES!

You can a kit from me to fix it, or make one yourself. If you want to tackle it yourself, follow the instructions in my sig. Pretty easy to do.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
JiggaLee is an unknown quantity at this point
Where do you live? Somewhere in CA? I live in Santa Barbara, so if you could help out, I'd pay!!! =) please call if you can on my cell phone (415-867-6447). My name's Janet. I'll be awake for a while so up to 1AM is fine =) thanks!!!

Hope to be doing this sometime soon.

JiggaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)