Idle question, but not the normal one... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 02:43 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
Idle question, but not the normal one...

Since i've not posted in a while, this is in the M3 and no I don't want to post it in the M forum kthx.

The idle when still is rock solid. However, if I am moving at all and have the clutch in the idle jumps regularly from about 500rpms up to about 800-900 rpms. What gives? A vacum leak is what I am thinking, just haven't gone in to look at it...

This will also get that annoying "you've not posted in a while" from staying at the top of my screen while I troll for nekid pics in the member lounge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 10:19 PM

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
I veto my theory. Turns out there aren't any hoses that should be used just when the clutch is in.

I've got another hair brained theory about the fuel injectors, but it really isn't a good one. Any ideas?

Clutch goes in, rpms go down to about 500 then jump to 800-900 and then fluctuates up and down until I stop. As soon as I stop (clutch still in) the idle goes back to rock solid.
#3 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 11:10 PM

(Thread Starter)
have I stumped everyone? It is getting stranger. It doesn't do it all the time. If it does it, it does it as long as the car is on. After turning off the car and letting it sit, it may or may not do it the next time the car is on.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 11:54 PM
General Chaos

SpeedInfusion has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to SpeedInfusion
ur in danger to manifold?

no idea dude, my car revs up sometimes if im slowing down then stop, then the rev shoots up then calms down...

#5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 02:08 AM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
check your floormats... just an idea....

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
#6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 12:20 PM

(Thread Starter)
Floor mats are good. Had that happen in my 318...

The strange thing is that it is only when the car is moving but the clutch is in. When the car stops (clutch still in) the idle goes back to rock solid. It's the strangest thing I have ever seen. And like I said, it doesn't happen every trip either. I'm thinking temperature might have something to do with it. Our weather has been any where between 30 and 75 since this thing has started.
#7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 03:45 PM

german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future
Is that power assist clutch actuation? You might have an air bubble in your clutch lines, and the fluid resevoir is trying to push it past the block by thieving a little power..

Idk mang, i'm not an e36 guy, i just saw the topic and it caught my eye.

R.I.P fast 6

Two wheels or Four, I'm happy as long as the throttle is pinned.
#8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 01:31 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by german-speed-demon
Is that power assist clutch actuation? You might have an air bubble in your clutch lines, and the fluid resevoir is trying to push it past the block by thieving a little power..

Idk mang, i'm not an e36 guy, i just saw the topic and it caught my eye.
hmmm interesting idea... How often does the entirety of the fluid circulate? And could air just pop in there? There hasn't been any work done in a while that would have let any in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)