BMW Werkz banner

Idle Problems '95 325is

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  93 325i 
#1 ·
:wtf Re: IDLE Problems (1995 325is, stock)
Hi. First, thanks for many great posts. I like to figure stuff out and you are all helpful. I have been reading most of the posts regarding an idle problem. I decided to document what I did to help others, who also come here with questions, and to get suggestions from everybody.

When problems first started, the car would sputter at stop signs and the RPMs would go up and down. Driving at speed there where no issues. The idle problem was random, sometimes it would be fine. It got worse, to where if I let it idle, it would die. I did the reading here and worked on the ICV (idle control valve). In working on that, I did both suggestions, filled the ICV hose with a mild solvent (to flush it) and completely removed it and sprayed the hell out of it with WD40. The easy way on the M50 engine is to remove the MAF, Elbow air connector, and throttle linkage (4 screws). Reach underneath the manifold; remove the hoses connected to the ICV, put some oil on the ICV and move it back and forth till it comes out. Be careful when putting it back together, especially the elbow air connector back in place, as if the hose fastener screw is in the 9 o’clock position it will block the return action of the throttle linkage when you punch it (very exciting btw). Also, this is a pain in the a_s!

Result was no luck; it did not fix the idle problem. I checked for vacuum leaks in the air intake and found one hose from the front of the engine (cam case) to the ICV air out hose that had apparently melted. Fixed that and still no change.

I went on a drive to grandma’s house (no kidding) and when I got back my problems where 5 times worse: no idle, no power, hardly starts, the exhaust smells like fuel. I think the MAF is FUBR, but it seems to be slowly dieing, so as to give lots of different behaviors. I went to the dealer to run the codes, and they said it was the MAF. I bought a MAF from Zionsville for 309.00 which is way cheap for these.

I received the MAF today… and still no solution.

So, I gave up and took it to the dealer. Of course, the dealer replaced both the ICV and MAF and the car is fixed (ouch). I will see if I can put the old MAF back in to save some money.

I hope this experience helps save some money.

Key Words: MAF, Mass Airflow Sensor, ICV, Idle Control Valve, Idle problems, Car will not idle, rough idle.

See less See more
#3 ·
Originally posted by Burnettm@Apr 25 2005, 06:58 PM
Solution follow up:
I did put in the old MAF and the car is fully functional. My error, I could have saved a lot, if I had replaced the ICV instead of cleaning it.
Matt :)
[snapback]337578[/snapback]​
thanks for the tip... i was thinking about doing a diy on my shietz by cleaning it too... gotta buy icv and maf now...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.