BMW Werkz banner

Ideas

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  kandi08 
#1 ·
Hi Guys
Any free/cheap suggestions to improving my acceleration?
Close to 140 bhp now, but just want a pinch more.
Can i exchange my inlet for one from a 2.5 for example?
Any help with this would be sweet.
Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
Chip is the only thing that is really worth it unless you plan on spending major money/time working on it to get power out of it.

m20 flywheel/clutch is a good upgrade if you have a dual mass flywheel; cams can be reground, but that's not cheap and it's a lot of work ...

Really, IMO, if you want more power than what you're gonna get with a good chip, you might as well look into swapping your engine for a m50/m52/s50.

edit: as for the intake ... nothing you do will get you power: the real bottleneck/restriction is the barn door air flow meter. That said, BMW got pretty much everything they could out of this motor within reason: it has dual butterfly throttle body, intake manifold with dual runners, factory headers ...

#6 ·
You can't take a MAF from a m50. It is a hotwire maf and the m42 uses a vane AFM ... they work in completely different ways. There are conversions out there, but they are quite pricey. Look up splitsec.com ... I know they used to make a MAF conversion kit. If you meant a larger AFM from a m20 2.5, that wont work either ... the a/f ratio will be all out of whack.

Really though, if you can't afford a m50, start stripping the car out ... from what I've seen online, there is at least about 250-300 lbs that can be lost. If that's not an option either ... I don't know what to tell you, but it's gonna be pretty hard to drift.

#8 ·
I don't know if they still do, but honestly, I don't think it's really very cost effective at all ... you spend 4 grand to basically get the same power as a stock M3 when a m50 swap with s50 cams, intake, chip and exhaust will only set you back half that and make the same power ... for the cost of a DA supercharger for a m42, you can probably have a aforementioned m50 swap with a low(ish) boost turbo setup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.