BMW Werkz banner

I REALLY need a battery...

3K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  tomctx 
#1 ·
My battery is done. Its a BMW stock battery but I need to replace it. I left the interior lights on for about 5 mins yesterday and all i got were clicks when i tried to start her... I went to costco to get an optimum or a cheap one, but they didnt carry either. What batteries do you guys get?

#3 ·
RexKing86 said:
My battery is done. Its a BMW stock battery but I need to replace it. I left the interior lights on for about 5 mins yesterday and all i got were clicks when i tried to start her... I went to costco to get an optimum or a cheap one, but they didnt carry either. What batteries do you guys get?
O'Reilly and NAPA auto parts stores have batteries for the BMW. I bought mine at O'reilly's, $80.00. It was for the convertible, but still works just fine.

#4 ·
Bosch....

I picked up a Euro style Bosch 34? at our local PepBoys for about $80. Whatever brand you decide on make sure it fits the retainer there in the trunk and has a vent fitting (or two) you can connect a vent hose to and run it out the small hole there under the battery to vent to the outside rather than in your trunk (rust). I've seen too many people get batteries without the vent hose and rot their trunks out when the battery just spews into the trunk.

Mike

#9 ·
Optima Yellow Top batteries. They're sealed, so you don't have to worry about venting. They're definitely the best battery on the market. I modified my battery well slightly to take it; most of them aren't standard bmw size.

#11 ·
Bosch or Die Hard....

Few batteries actually have the vent connection(s) so you have to be careful when buying one. Lots of garages like to slap in an Interstate because its a well known brand but they don't have the vent hoses and end up spewing acid all over the trunk wheelwell. Two of the top rated batteries I found with the proper vent connections were the Sears Diehard Euro 34 series and the Bosch 34 series, both very good batteries. They also have the end plates built in that fit right in the trunk battery retaining slot, so they install without a hassle. Remember to get the red and green terminal anti-corrosion pads that go around the posts and help keep that powdery corrosion off the terminals.

Mike

#12 ·
RexKing86 said:
How do you modify a battery??

im liking that bosch battery...
the O'reilly and NAPA batteries come with vent ports.

#13 ·
RexKing86 said:
How do you modify a battery??

im liking that bosch battery...
I didn't modify the battery, I modifed the battery well. Basically the footprint of optimas is wrong for bmws, so I jerry-rigged a clamp to hold the battery in place. Worked like a charm.

#17 ·
I have a red top and I got the biggest one they had and it fit fine, I couldnt put my battery cover on all the way because it was a little to tall but since then I have removed EVERYTHING in my trunk so it doesnt matter. Yellow tops general are for the high performance sound person as the recharge better(deep cycle) and the redtop is for the overall user, also redtop batterys are lighter than stock, my battery has 120 CCA more than stock and weighs 5 pounds less, the battery that was equvalent to my stock one was about 7 pounds less, u could go with a interstate racing battery but I wouldnt reccomend that unless your racing cause u dont want to get stranded. I would reccomend an Optima red or yellow top, u can totally charge and discharge the whole thing with no trouble, i put my car in storage for a year, battery was dead, jumped the car, by the time I got home I had full charge, I put my battery on a trickle charger for 2 days to make sure it was in tip top shape but the redtop never stopped pleasing me, Also it is sealed so that is good

#19 ·
get some measurements from your battery well and then go to the store and measure the battery. Maybe is not the best advice, but it worked for me and the yellow top that I bought. The only problem is thatthe plastic cover where the first aid kit goes onto doesn't fit all the way in properly

#20 ·
Walmart here I come....

Heck go to Walmart. Even THEY have the correct Euro battery for the BMWs. Look along the bottom of the battery shelf. The Euro spec battery has the recessed poles on top and the proper hold downs molded into the battery case to fit the BMW battery mount. Remember to get some anti-corrosion pads to put over terminals (the red and green round things that go under the battery terminals...), this will greatly reduce oxidation around the terminals. The Euro battery also has the proper vent pipe.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.