I need more speed... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 01:12 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RajeKryptix is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
[FONT=Geneva][SIZE=1]I drive a 1995 BMW 318I convertible. I really like the car except for one thing, it is the slowest car I have ever driven. The 4-cylindar motor just isn't cutting it for me. I really need to do something. I was wondering whether it would be smarter to bore it out, and follow those lines, or just go with the direct upgrade and swap to a larger engine. My only request is to stay in the 4 maybe 5 grand range (only a request).

Also, It is an automatic. I wante'd to change that out to a manual 5 or 6 spd. I was wondering how much extra work/money that was going to take. And if its not worth it what do I do about that granny shiftin tranny?

Thanks, Nick!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 03:29 AM
5th Gear Member

brien4787 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to brien4787
you are not going to get a whole lot of speed with the convert 318
u might get some more, but if you want a lot, i would just sell the car, and get a 6 cylinder

!
#3 (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 09:42 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
YOu really will be better of selling the car and getting a 325 convert or 328 convert. You can do the swap but you need soooo much more than just then engine. By the time you buy it all and pay some one to swap it in for you and sell all your old stuff, you could have just sold your car and bought a 6cyl with the money you wanted to spend on the swap, and prolly have enough left for a nice dinner if not a couple.
#4 (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 10:41 AM
4th Gear Member

BlantonG13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BlantonG13
Downing-Atlanta Supercharger...they are running at good prices right now...somewhere around 3500 or so...check Bavengine.com for a swap if you really are into that idea. Selling it would be the best bet though because by the time all that is done especially for a tranny swap...it would be expensive.

1996 318i
5 Speed Manual

Alpine CDA-7895 Head Unit
12" Alpine Type-R, sealed box
Pioneer 400w amp for $20 at a yard sale (to replace my fried MRV-1507)
Infinity Kappa 4" 2-way speakers(rear)
Infinity Kappa 5.25" component speakers(front)
Debaffled airbox, K&N filter
Tracked Mud on carpets
Shampooed and cleaned carpets
#5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 11:55 AM
3rd Gear Member

wulley1 is an unknown quantity at this point
the supercharger is probably your best bet, especially for Downing-Atlanta Kit. They are a well known company with a great reputation.
#6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 12:40 PM
Threadkiller

bitcore will become famous soon enough bitcore will become famous soon enough
In terms of price Vs. preformance, turbo or supercharger, but it wears down your engine much much more and the automatic transmission kinda kills the point of a supercharger because of it's serious loss of power through the torque converter.
For a REALLY instant & cheep increase in preformance, swap differntials for one with smaller gears. Your top speed will be a whole lot less, but you'll acelerate faster. Of course, this is just really a temporary solution and isn't a power increase, just a conversion.
I'm *not* really sure but it *may* cause the AT's computer to be confused since thr RPM's dont match the expected speed. I doubt it though.

In all honesty, it's best to sell it and get a 328 or 330 or something.

Engine swap: Engine block, engine computer & wiring harnasses, new ECU, new transmission, new driveline, new differential (auto transmission E36 diff's have much much smaller gearing than manual transmission E36 diffs) and of course, all of the engine components - water pump, AC compressor, alternator, exhaust (including headers, cat, and muffler) You'll need to beef up the suspinsion a bit to handle the extra engine weight & I'm sure there's a lot more that I didn't list...
To really be cost effective, you need to swap with at least an M engine, V8 (like frank_de_jonge is doing) if you can... BMW engine's have so many electrical components & sensors, it's crazy.

Hopfuelly frank_de_jonge will see this thread and post what he's had to do to the car. If you search the forums for his threads, you'll see a couple threads where he posted pics of his chopped up & very kickass 318

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)