I Just Rode Off My 318i :( - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 05:16 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
akr76g is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hey everyone, i own a 318i BMW, or whats left of it, stupid me did not have full insurance on her ghead ,and lost her going around a corner in the wet and went sideways into a telegraph pole.

Thank god for the airbag, and seatbelt i came out alive, the telegraph pole actually broke and i was very lucky it did not fall on my car.

The damage was sustained to the rear left hand side where the passanger seat is, I live in Australia so all our cars are Right Hand drive. So lucky me again i was not hurt...

I dont know weather i should just sell the parts, auction it or try and fix it. My mechanic said it will be very hard to fix as the chassis is bent, and it probably wont be worth it.

What do you think i should do ? Below is whats left
im not 100% if they will display im a newbie..

[attachmentid=15011]
[attachmentid=15012]
[attachmentid=15013]

This was when i first bought her
[attachmentid=15034]
[attachmentid=15035]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	14398   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	14399   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	14400   Click image for larger version

Name:	bimma.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	14421   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bimmer_side.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	14422  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 05:18 PM
5th Gear Member

'89 635 csi is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry to hear about your loss:-(

Dave G.
'89 635csi
'86 528e - Sold
'84 528e - Soon to be 533i
'96 Jeep Cherokee 4WD
OO=[][]=OO
#3 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 05:20 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I guess im thankful to still be alive, but thankyou !
#4 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 05:22 PM
2nd Gear Member

-pimpin328is- is an unknown quantity at this point
ouch it always make me sad to see a recked bimmer

id say part it out, it would be lots of trouble, but in the long run, IMO, you would make more $$$ off of it than if you sold it as is.

Mods: Tint, Euro Tails, Smoked corners and Side Markers, E46 Style Shadow Grill, 18" M3 Replicas, M3 Exhaust, Low Beam Silver Stars
#5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 05:24 PM
1st Gear Member

EuroBeem is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah man i know what it feels like....i lost my 328i like 3 weeks ago...you might have seen my posts......it sucks and i also dont have full insurance of her. I still have the car and im either going to part my whole car out or just sell it as is.

Sorry about your loss. I was soo mad when i lost my 328i. Still am upset but hey, im happy that im alive.

Im also getting another bmw cause it deffinitely saved my life since there so well built.
#6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 05:25 PM
quality

Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Oh My God!!!!!

I'm so sorry. Good thing you came out okay!!!!
Man I would crawl under my bed and cry my eyes out....

I drive a 318i and I would say sell it for parts. Because 318i will cost a much as any E36 car to fix but the car is not worth as much as other E36 cars unless the car has good milage but after an accident like that It would affect the final value.

What you can do and should know is if you do part it out and sell parts or even sell it whole as a "project cars" you may get between $1000 - $2000 if you're lucky for it. I see these "project E36 cars" being sold for as much on Ebay all the time.

I would try to sell it whole or part it out. You are looking at paying aorund double the car's current value to fix that chassis! ($5,000 - $10,000) Plus getting new parts and stuff. (whew!)

I paid almost $3000 to get stupid stuff fixed on my 318i last june so I can't imagine what this would cost.....

Good luck bro....again I'm sorry...These cars become a part of our lives and I would know from the heart what it would be like to lose something like this....

Feel Better....

#7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 05:31 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
It really made me sad, but what can you do...

I think that is what ill do.... i think i will buy another one in some time, i agree they are extreemly safe cars. I hit the telegraph pole at around 50-60 km/h side on. I am not sure what that is in mph. But i know if that was any other jap car, it would have been totally wrapped around the pole, and i got out with not one scratch on me. Just a sore neck!

So thankyou BMW !
#8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 05:37 PM
Been here a while.

97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 97alpineM3 Send a message via MSN to 97alpineM3
Sorry about your loss.... is that pink or just a bad pic...??? just wondering.. hope you get some money out of it..and are able to get back on your feet.. .or on some nice wheels....

Good Luck,

Le

1997 E36 M3 1990 E30 325i
#9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 05:37 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Man i just about did !

Now i drive a Utility Truck around, and it feels very Very different from driving a bmw. But if i steered the other way i probably wouldnt be here right now, so im thankful i can drive at all.

Just wanted to say to all you guys, Drive your car the way its meant to be driven, dont be stupid! Be extra careful in the wet, I had mine in manual mode when going around that corner, and thats what made me loose it.

If you want to give it a bit of a kick, do it when its dry! Its just not worth it.

#10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 05:40 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by 97alpineM3@Nov 14 2004, 09:37 AM
Sorry about your loss.... is that pink or just a bad pic...??? just wondering.. hope you get some money out of it..and are able to get back on your feet.. .or on some nice wheels....

Good Luck,

Le
[snapback]230291[/snapback]
I took the picture on my mobile (cellphone) so it came out pinky
thanks dude Ill definetly post it up when i get one !

Is that your Bimmer? nice !
#11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 06:03 PM
quality

Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by akr76g@Nov 13 2004, 05:37 PM
Man i just about did !

Now i drive a Utility Truck around, and it feels very Very different from driving a bmw. But if i steered the other way i probably wouldnt be here right now, so im thankful i can drive at all.

Just wanted to say to all you guys, Drive your car the way its meant to be driven, dont be stupid! Be extra careful in the wet, I had mine in manual mode when going around that corner, and thats what made me loose it.

If you want to give it a bit of a kick, do it when its dry! Its just not worth it.

[snapback]230292[/snapback]

You know,
The same thing happened to me once I had my car in manual mode and I hit a sharp curve on the Jackie Robinson in Queens, NY going like at 50-60 mph and my rear wheels went sideways, then my front wheels started to slip too but the road widened and straighten out at the right moment (whew!). Good thing too cuz' that would have been it for me and I would slammed into the stone wall divider...then no more BMW...no more BMW-forums...no more nice mods. The road was dry too but back then all my tires were 15" worn down toyos with no thread in 'em. I also didn't have full insurance coverage then as well....so I would have been in your spot...
Well now I got full coverage and new tires....but still that manual mode scares me sometimes...

again I'm sorry .

But that manual mode on the 318i is like turning your car into a wild untamed horse...it makes it faster but harder to control!!!!

#12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 06:13 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Shit bro !

Lucky you re-gained control !!

I was unlucky, all the conditions were the worst possible
But its taught me a tough lesson !

Its amazing, those telegraph poles are like magnets to cars...
#13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 06:24 PM
Neutral Member

bmw323inewbie is an unknown quantity at this point
yup had a few close calls in mine, UK, E36 323i 1996 so pre ASC ; spins out like a good un in the rain.
swear playing gran turismo on the playstation saved my ass, 3rd day I had it, swung round a slip round about 45 degrees , as in sideways onto a dual carriageway, back end went way out i corrected my steering and was ok ; @ 40 mph out of control

<a href='http://www.bmw-forums.com/forum/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=si&img=642 ' target='_blank'>http://www.bmw-forums.com/forum/index.php?...&cmd=si&img=642</a>
#14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 06:56 PM
Threadkiller

bitcore will become famous soon enough bitcore will become famous soon enough
Your chassis is F*#ED... I say it's totaled dude
Take the car, store it somewhere under cover and part it out on ebay. Include as many pictures of the accident as you can in the auction and sell everything that you can possibly think of. People like to know as much information about how your car was damaged and if the part they are buying wasn't damaged by the accident, so borrow a buddy's nice digital camera with at leasy 640x480 resolution and take about 25 pictures, and put maybe 7 of them on the ebay auctions. There are a few people on these forums who will gladly host your pictures for you for free so you dont have to pay extra each item listing on ebay for THEM to host your pictures. Some might even give you a little ftp account so you can take each part, give them a nice quick cleanup of road grime and crap, take a pic and make people feel even better about buying from you. I am one of those poeple

Front control arms, suspinsion components (non wearable items really... bushings will be replaced by the buyer for suspinsion components), your entire engine (better to sell that whole for people doing an engine swap or a blown engine), interior components that people could have broken, tailights, headlights, right side doors, wheels, main axle, differential, maybe the transmission if it isn't tore up, your rear and front bumpers look fine, maybe your trunk deck lid if it's not tore up (mounts can be replaced, great item for someone who was rear-ended), OBC, Gauge cluster, AC final stage unit, air conditioning air diverter thingies, your seats, gas tank, brackets, exhaust heat shielding.... Maybe I oughta start a chop shop

my god, i feel so bad for you. I hydroplaned into a curb with bald tires and did $2,200 of damage (so far, I need to replace my dor panel, airbag, rear bumper, and a couple rims... another 3 grand) but thankfully I didn't destroy it... Sig pic was 4 months before it happened. Fixed now, and all the damage was on the right rear.

Leme tell ya, Turning off traction control is ASKING for trouble... You wont go ANY faster with it off... Here's a hint of why not to turn it off. Yes, that's a supercharged jaguar XKR. Yes, I did that while driving it.

#15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 06:58 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
Looks to me like it would never be right again. Fixing a bent chasis is really risky, usually never the same. I hate to say it but if I were you I would part her out. Hope you can land yourself in another bmw. Good Luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)