I hate this car!!! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 07:47 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lower_Level is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
I hate this car!!!

sorry for the ranting in advance *mumble*

Well, another day; another attempt to fix failed.

Computer can now be ruled out as the reason for my 325's rpm issues. Still the same; car will not hold between 1200-1800 rpm. It holds for about 3 seconds, then rpm drops to 1200 for a second (almost as if you turned off the car) then jumps back up & repeats. At 2000 rpm's there is a noticeable miss; but no drop in rpm and anything above & below seems fine. Car accelerates strong and doesn't show any driveability issues.

plugs, coils changed, cams checked for timing, all seals on intake replaced, repeated checks for vacuum leaks, sensors checked for resistance & voltage, now computer swapped out

Now what is the most baffling to me is why in the blue hell won't the car tell me what's wrong??? Surely to god the car can't think that everything is fine, and obviously there is something horribly wrong; a sensor or something that is failing; or something is installed incorrectly from when I put the head on months ago. (the problem's been there since day one BTW)

But scans of the car don't show any codes!!!!

WHY! WHY! WHY!!!!

I'm going to do a compression test on the car tomorrow & see if maybe I pooched the head gasket on installation. I haven't seen any signs of coolant in the oil; but there is some condensation coming through the tailpipes. Just looks like carbony water; not oily residue. No overheating issues thus far & doesn't seem to be losing any coolant.

Would the head gasket even cause this type of a problem? or will this be another wasted weekend

Last edited by Lower_Level; 10-03-2008 at 08:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 11:20 PM
n00b

spazout1 is on a distinguished road
check if itz pulling air simply take sum crab cleaner nd check nd spary araound the intake manifold nd if it corrects itz pulling air
#3 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 11:32 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Never give up! I know the feeling!

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 05:13 AM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
Well I would say faulty PCV valve.

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 07:27 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
where is the PVC valve on these cars?
#6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 08:11 AM
Help from over the pond

It's located under the intake manifold, to the left of the throttle body. It's not really visible without moving the engine harness and the throttle boby, there are four hoses connected to it, one from the valve cover (front of engine valve cover), one from the dip stick, a small 1/4" vacumm hose and another that goes to the intake manifold. The vapors from the engine (via valve cover and dip stick) are routed back into the engine to be burnt again (via the intake manifold), the diaphram in this separator does brake and creates a vacumm leak, in some cases the excessive passing of oil will soften the hoses.

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 11:18 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
will look for that... I don't remember seeing any hoses attached to my oil dipstick tube... maybe that's where the problem is?
#8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 11:23 AM
Help from over the pond

Some models differ slightly, but im sure you will work it out, any probs get back to me.

#9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 12:48 PM
n00b

olds72 is on a distinguished road
I would look at cleaning the idle control valve (ICV) I have not searched this forum for it but another forum i subscribe to has something on it.
DIY: Cleaning/Replacing Idle Control Valve (ICV)- - Page 3 - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum
#10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 02:06 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I looked all over the place & didn't find any loose hoses, or places where there should have been a hose on the dipstick tube.

ICV has been removed & cleaned... twice. Didn't make any differences.

Also did a cold compression test today: 220,210,215,210,210,205 so I guess there's no big problems there.

Will do a test at operating temp maybe later when it stops raining; but I don't think that's where the problem is...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)