I found a very stupid problem... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2004, 11:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car: 2010 (Prefer not to say here).
Photos:
thekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to thekid Send a message via AIM to thekid
Friday night as I was driving I noticed that as I was shifting the rpms would go up slightly before falling, but after my foot was compeletly off of the gas pedal. I also noticed that the idle was going up slightly at a stop. I thought about it and wondered if perhaps the throttle was sticking. Then I noticed something felt funny on the gas pedal. The floor matt had slid forward and was pressing on the gas pedal ever so slightly. So I pulled it back with my feet and all was then ok. But then today the same thing happend! ghead
So what's the deal??? Do your floor matts move? I've never ever had this happen in any other car before and just think that it's kind of annoying.
thekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2004, 11:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Defector

Car:
Photos:
El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
are your mats secured? They should have locking rings.
El Presidente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 12:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
TECH is an unknown quantity at this point
Mine like to creep forward as I lift my buttocks to expell noxious fumes.
TECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 01:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
trinidon2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to trinidon2k
my bmw floor mats dont do that...but i have another mat overr the bmw mats that always creep forward
trinidon2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 09:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car:
Photos:
dutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to dutchbmw
My floormats have no legs..........
Originally Posted by Torque
I was just dropped off here by aliens one day. They got bored with me.
dutchbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 05:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
brosnan6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to brosnan6 Send a message via MSN to brosnan6
Quote:
Originally posted by thekid@Jan 14 2004, 01:20 AM
Friday night as I was driving I noticed that as I was shifting the rpms would go up slightly before falling, but after my foot was compeletly off of the gas pedal. I also noticed that the idle was going up slightly at a stop. I thought about it and wondered if perhaps the throttle was sticking. Then I noticed something felt funny on the gas pedal. The floor matt had slid forward and was pressing on the gas pedal ever so slightly. So I pulled it back with my feet and all was then ok. But then today the same thing happend! ghead
So what's the deal??? Do your floor matts move? I've never ever had this happen in any other car before and just think that it's kind of annoying.
Funny you shhould mention that. My car has been simliar lately as well, revving right after I shift and release the clutch totally and push on gas, it revs about 1000 rpms up, then when I let it go of gas it goes back down and when i push gas again, then it acts normal and speeds up. . But the weird thing is, my floor mats are securly locked into place. I always make sure of that cause i absolutely hate awkward floor mats. What else could cause this?
brosnan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 08:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
///STEALTH/// is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds like a serious problem kid better bring it too a mechanic straight away , if your lucky you might only have to change the matt ,but it could end up in you changing your shoes, maybe even your socks
Old 01-14-2004, 09:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
ex owner/admin

Car: turbo e36 325/s50 and e46 330xi
Photos:
Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
yeah i was gonna say mats as well, i had that problem before, it would give a blip before i clutched in.
Old 01-14-2004, 11:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Herb15E is an unknown quantity at this point
I have had the same thing happen with my floor mats. However, if after you fix the mats the rpms are going up with the clutch still in but no gas, that usually means the clutch is getting unusually hot for normal driving conditions. This means that either you're driving the car pretty hard, as I and Im sure most Bimmer drivers do on many an occassion, or its about time to replace the clutch. Usually when my clutch is about done, it does the same sort of thing.
Herb15E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 12:37 AM   #10 (permalink)

Photos:
thekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond repute
It's not my clutch it is in good shape... or was when I bought the car. Granted I am remembering how to drive a 5spd, it's been over a year now since my last 5spd. And I have been perhaps riding the clutch a little bit from a stop and jumping the clutch a little with shifts. However, this should be remedied soon. However, the problem is that I don't drive everyday so it will take a while longer, and more clutch to remember properly.

Quote:
///STEALTH/// Posted on Jan 14 2004, 10:18 PM
Sounds like a serious problem kid better bring it too a mechanic straight away , if your lucky you might only have to change the matt ,but it could end up in you changing your shoes, maybe even your socks
Stealth: your bad attempt at humour sickens me coming from another BMW driver. I'll have you know I change my socks daily. However, my shoes are pretty old.
Old 01-15-2004, 04:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
///STEALTH/// is an unknown quantity at this point
he he he
Old 01-15-2004, 10:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
TECH is an unknown quantity at this point
Depending on the car, I believe that some will hold an rpm during a shift to help with being smooth. It may even go up a little bit, but I'm not sure this is exactly normal, or on which cars.
You probably have 2 clutch switches. One is for when the clutch is depressed, it allows you to start the car-the safety switch. The other is for when you first push the clutch down to disengage it. It is used to deactivate the cruise control, and tell the engine computer what you are doing. If this switch goes bad, the rpm's might hang more than usual, and if you are using the cruise, the engine may run away......hit the brake in that case.
TECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 01:01 AM   #13 (permalink)

Photos:
well the problem is gone since i moved the floor mat again. And no there is nothing at all to hook the matt to. There are holes for the floor hook like things that are supposed to hold the matt there but I can't find any one the floor. Or at least if they're there they are not near the holes in the mat.
Old 01-17-2004, 03:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Threadkiller

Car:
Photos:
bitcore will become famous soon enoughbitcore will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to bitcore Send a message via AIM to bitcore Send a message via MSN to bitcore
Try Velcro, Really.
My mats love to creap forward, and since my car was CPO and apparently the mats were stored somewehere folded in half, they both have very ugly creases and are VERY flexible at the crease. Is there anywhere I can get some new cheep origional mats for mine? (98 323 is)

bitcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 06:10 AM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Morpheous is an unknown quantity at this point
Incorrect Idling or advanced revs could be many things. I dont think the pressure of the mats is strong enough to push those pedals down. Try pressing the pedal with your fingers and you'll see what I mean.

Its possible that there is insufficient coolant in the radiator. Sometimes it might even look ok if there are air gaps! Might be worth draining and filling the whole system.
Morpheous is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)