I Fear My Differential Is Being Stripped To Death - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 06:13 PM
Threadkiller

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bitcore will become famous soon enough bitcore will become famous soon enough
(Thread Starter)
Ok, on my way home, I took a turn under some moderate power and I felt areally large jolt in the driveline that felt like it was coming from the left rear wheel like it had locked up or something.... this tells me my differential is going out. I didn't roll over anything and I've had a feeling that the diff was acting very strange for quite some time.

In case it does start to really grind to pieces, I need to know the ratio that my stock car uses so I can go ahead and just buy one.

1998 323is Automatic

I'll probably just crap out and get a used one since I simply CANNOT afford an upgrade to an LSD, Let alone a brand new stock differential!

This guy looks pritty good, decent feedback rating and he's done a whole bunch of sales, I guess I'll give him a ring sometime and see what he's got.

Any suggestions? and what's my ratio?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 07:19 PM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
not sure, what the ratio is in your car. but are you positive its your diff?

#3 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 08:27 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
Vines automotive is a great salvage yard (if this is the one in Alabama). I highly recommend them. They also have a website if you do not want to go through Ebay. They'll treat you right.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 09:29 PM
Threadkiller

(Thread Starter)
Well, it happened really hard when I took a turn and stomped it at the same time... I took it easy the last 5 minutes of the way home.

#5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 09:53 PM
Neutral Member

mixalot is an unknown quantity at this point
Possibly a bad wheel rotor. Both mine went bad within the last 6 months, on an 1994 325is. Although, you would have heard it grinding before it would start to seize like that.

A bad wheel rotor will stop making noise when you roll away from that side on a corner.

Past ownership: 1987 325is, 1988 325i, 1995 325is, 1996 325i Convertible, 1994 325is.

Current ownership (wife's): 2006 X3 3.0i

Future ownership: 3-series of some sort

My office.
My law blog.
#6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 12:15 AM
Threadkiller

(Thread Starter)
hmm, I was thinking the wheel bearing after it happened, I had my right one replaced, but not my left.
I do hit some very very high speeds for quite a while and sometimes on a daily basis. (I-40, where it's like 7 lane and no traffic at 7:00) So the bearing has taken a beating so to speak compaired to other daily drivers...
I did start hearing a squeaking noise that's associated with speed. Not a high pitched squeak, more like a massive piece of metal grinding against another massive piece of metal. That noise could have been my E-brake shoes acting up again, I'll do my little reset trick tomorrow and see if it goes away.

Would a failing wheel bearing cause a THUD noise and feeling like that? just freaking SEIZE up like that? It happened after I got off the highway... so... yah.

Who knows, The real test is coming up in about 6 hours when I hop in my baby agin.

I'm still fairly confident my diff caused that jolt... I did slide into a curb, ruin a control arm, axle, shock, rim and rtab and the passenger side airbag deployed, so the diff has experienced some trauma. I wuoldn't put it past it for it to be failing now.

#7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 12:48 AM
What? No Autobahn?

jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile
what is the ratio on your diff? I have a used 345 that works great I'll let go for cheap since it's just sitting in my basement.

#8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 11:02 PM
Threadkiller

(Thread Starter)
Thats what I was asking in the first place lol.
I think the auto trannys have a high ratio so the diff is somewehre in the low 4.X's...

I read that some long time ago in the forums and can't find it easially, I thought I'd just ask

Damn I want an LSD. I need to call vines...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)