BMW Werkz banner

how to tell if i have the sport or stock springs?

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  jcy0001 
#1 ·
Hi i have a '96 328iC and ive been having a problem with my car being too low and my front scrapping almost everywhere i go and sometimes even my bottom:( was wondering what springs i had to had my mechanic take them off to check only to find out that they were stock springs with the front ones cut which was y they were slightly too low:( the rears were untouched tho:) i would like to put them back to what they originaly were but dont know if they were just the normal springs or the sport package that people talk about. would anyone know how to tell these 2 appart?
The other option i have is to replace the 4 springs with some after market springs but dont wana put spring that will make the car just as low as it is now i would like it higher. are there any after market springs that are same or close to stock ride hight? which springs in the market now would have the lease amount of drop? thanks:)

#3 ·
AJ made a good suggestion on springs. I wouldnt be too concerned about the wheel scraping again on lowered springs. The good progressive springs will lower your car but also make it handle better. Its built a little stiffer than factory. It all depends on what you get. Also have your mechanic check the struts while they're out. You might as well replace them and sve some money on labor charges

#4 ·
Hi thanks for the quick reply guys:) okey total newbie question here:( whats the difference between sport seats and non sport seats? oh and i dont have wheel scraping but i keep scraping the front lip of the front:( i has the schnitzer front and thats what is too low:( are the H&R OEM sport have the same drop as the OEM sport package? will i have to change the shocks if i use the H&R's? what do the struts do? should i replace them with OEM struts or are there aftermarket struts? thanks again guys hope my questions arent that stupid:(

#5 ·
jcy0001 said:
Hi thanks for the quick reply guys:) okey total newbie question here:( whats the difference between sport seats and non sport seats? oh and i dont have wheel scraping but i keep scraping the front lip of the front:( i has the schnitzer front and thats what is too low:( are the H&R OEM sport have the same drop as the OEM sport package? will i have to change the shocks if i use the H&R's? what do the struts do? should i replace them with OEM struts or are there aftermarket struts? thanks again guys hope my questions arent that stupid:(
The sport seats have bigger side bolsters and are a little narrower to hold you inplace better. You might want to change the way you drive a little too. Anytime I come up to a large dip or steep driveway I aproach it at about a 45* angle instead of head on. Struts are on the front, shocks are on the rear. Google MacPhearson(sp) strut and it will tell you what it is. The H&R OEM springs are basically a spring that is stiffer, a little bit lower and a slightly more agressive spring rate than a stock spring. If you are going to change your springs it is a good idea to change the shocks and struts too. If you don't drive your car very hard some Bilstein HD or Touring shocks is a nice upgrade from the factory ones.

#6 ·
Hi thanks for that checked out the H&R OEM's and they seem to be the ones with the less drop of the bunch which i think is right for me :) with the cut springs ive been going at everything sideways but sometimes i scrape:( i hope the the H&R OEM's make the car even slightly higer than it is now:) thanks again:)

#7 ·
Man of all the rotten luck:( i talked to the dealer of H&R here in the philippines and he told me that they dont carry the model for the 328i convertible since there really isnt that much of the car here in the philippines :( well in all fairness theres only two in my city while theres maybe less than 20 units in the whole country of the e38 convertibles:( well he has a shipment leaving end of febuary that he can put a set for me in that but it wont be here till march. He said he could airmail it but it would probably double the price of everything :(arrrrgggggg Im checking with Hong Kong tho as that is the closest country to get anything from for us:)
Oh another question for you guys :) whats the difference between the bilstein HD and touring? thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.