How to tell if i have European ellipsoid headlight - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 09:13 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LIMaxin is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Topic says it all. I want to purchase this kit http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=42613 and i'm not sure if i have the european ellipsoid headlights in my 97 328is. It appears that the lens is removable because it looks like theres a clip attatching it on the top but i am not certain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 05:15 PM
2nd Gear Member

uber e36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to uber e36
Yours are probably not European Ellipsoids. I don't think they came on any N/A models (maybe the first few?)

European Ellipsoids are glass, instead of the plastic we have. And they have horizontal lines across the glass...

Click signature for pictures:

Need some Real Estate Advice? www.gracehomes.com
#3 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 05:32 PM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
If your headlight assemblies are oem, and your car is per North American spec (i.e. made for America, you don't live in Europe or something), then yoy don't have ellipsoids. The only way you would, would be if the previous owner upgraded them, but this is doubtful.

Notice how my headlights below have a projector lense (or ellipsoid) that focuses the light unto the road rather than a refector style headlight that comes from the factory. Keep in mind you could still use the rings, but it would probably look kinda silly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ZKW__s.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	11791  

#4 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 08:11 PM
Defector

El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
Look at the lense. if its glass, you have projectors. ikf its plastic, you don;t

<span style='color:gray'><span style='font-family:Courier'>1995 e36 3 Series RIP
1999 e46 3 Series BURN IN HELL
2000 MR-S Roadster= Current</span></span>
#5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 10:09 PM
3rd Gear Member

kyle_baker is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to kyle_baker Send a message via MSN to kyle_baker Send a message via Yahoo to kyle_baker Send a message via Skype™ to kyle_baker
hey, i have a 1995 325is, and it has been well kept, but i don't think the previous owners have replaced the head lights. as far as i know, they are plastic instead of the euro glass lens, so should this mean that the angeleye rings on ebay Will or Will Not work? can the plastic lens be removed to insert the rings? Couldn't tell from the posts thus far, i'm confused, not sure what the ZKW or Depo headlights are, but want the angeleye look. please help asap. thanx
#6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 10:39 PM
Defector

the factory NA spec lenses can be removed, but its not worth it to do so. ZWK/DEPO are manufacturers of ellipsoids. So, yes, they will work, but they aren't worth the trouble (you literally have to bake the headlights to melt the adhesive to get the plastic off).

<span style='color:gray'><span style='font-family:Courier'>1995 e36 3 Series RIP
#7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 10:45 PM
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to kyle_baker Send a message via MSN to kyle_baker Send a message via Yahoo to kyle_baker Send a message via Skype™ to kyle_baker
Quote:
Originally posted by El Presidente@Sep 13 2004, 11:19 PM
the factory NA spec lenses can be removed, but its not worth it to do so. ZWK/DEPO are manufacturers of ellipsoids. So, yes, they will work, but they aren't worth the trouble (you literally have to bake the headlights to melt the adhesive to get the plastic off).
oh, and then to put them back together you re"bake" them or just use silicon? I want the angeleyes, but not for the price of 300 to 500 dolars, thanx for eye El Presidente.
#8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 10:47 PM
Defector

you dont need to rebake them, just use a good sealent.

You know you can buy DEPO projectors w/AEs pretty cheap on ebay. The rings aren't the highest quality, but you get a much more functional mod along with it.

#9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 11:26 PM
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by El Presidente@Sep 13 2004, 11:27 PM
you dont need to rebake them, just use a good sealent.

You know you can buy DEPO projectors w/AEs pretty cheap on ebay. The rings aren't the highest quality, but you get a much more functional mod along with it.
really? i will look for those then. i was just wondering about the angeleyes rings from ebay cause i'm helping a friend install them.......do you know where i can find installation instructions for them tho? for a 1993 325i? I wanted them for my 1995 325is, but i will try what you are saying. Please help on installation instructions tho asap, thanx
#10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 12:32 AM
Defector

AEs are a breeze to install if you buy them with ellipsoids. all you have to do is splice the plight wire.

#11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 07:28 AM
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by El Presidente@Sep 14 2004, 01:12 AM
AEs are a breeze to install if you buy them with ellipsoids. all you have to do is splice the plight wire.
how is it that they are wired up to work during the day? is that only if you turn your headlights on during the day? So basically the toggle switch would be the headlight switch or do they run constantly? I'm good at wiring electrical stuff,but i just have to understand how they are meant to work first. thanx please help asap
#12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 09:47 AM
Defector

to wire them so they are in the day they have to be wired to a switched 12V ignition line and not any part of the headlight. wires.

#13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 02:36 PM
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by El Presidente@Sep 14 2004, 10:27 AM
to wire them so they are in the day they have to be wired to a switched 12V ignition line and not any part of the headlight. wires.
That is how i thought it would have to be wired for daytime use without the headlights, but is that the way most people are wiring them up or what? And how would you wire them?
#14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 03:27 PM
350z

bigred318 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to bigred318 Send a message via Yahoo to bigred318
eyah theres a guy that sells deops wth AEs in them on ebay for around 280ish if you want to go that route

David
#15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 08:02 PM
Defector

I think most people who want them on during the day would simply them in to the plights and use the switch. If I were to do it, and use a switched 12V, I'd tap the temp sensor to use as a trigger for a relay and power the AEs with a relay.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)