BMW Werkz banner

How To Stop The Water Pump

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  KILOCHARLIE 
#1 ·
I think my water pump may be broken as when the engine runs I can hear a clicking noise.

i've taken off the fan belt to stop the fan clutch turning the pump and the noise is still there, but i've been told that it could be the coolant flow turning the impeller and thus the pump is still turning.

My fan coupling is too tight to undo so i can't just remove the pump without taking the car to a dealer.

Is there a way to stop the pump at all other than that?

Also is it safe to run the engine with the water pump disabled/disconnected?

Many thanks if you can help, I'm having a real problem with this. :nope

#2 ·
Originally posted by KILOCHARLIE@Aug 2 2005, 09:56 AM
I think my water pump may be broken as when the engine runs I can hear a clicking noise.

i've taken off the fan belt to stop the fan clutch turning the pump and the noise is still there, but i've been told that it could be the coolant flow turning the impeller and thus the pump is still turning.

My fan coupling is too tight to undo so i can't just remove the pump without taking the car to a dealer.

Is there a way to stop the pump at all other than that?

Also is it safe to run the engine with the water pump disabled/disconnected?

Many thanks if you can help, I'm having a real problem with this. :nope
[snapback]366826[/snapback]​

First off if you rmoved the pump and the noise is still there, is not your pump. This engine only have one coolant pump, the one driven by the serpentine belt that also drives the mechanical fan. So if you removed the belt and the noise is still there, is not your pump;...

Look carefully as to where this noise is comming from.

Also you cannot run the engine without the pump, it will overheat and this is deadly for this engines.

To remove the fan from the pump you could purchase a tool that holds the pulley while you use a wrench to unscrew the fan. But keep in mind the treats of the fan coupling are reversed, do not thingting this the way you do with other nuts and bolts.

anywya hope it helps.

Victor

#4 ·
many thanks for the reply

are you 100% the coolant flow would not be turning the impeller?

I was told that even though the belt is removed this may be the case and the pump would still turn and therefore make the noise.

thanks again!

#6 ·
well, its hard to say , the way the coolant flows throught the engine and cooling system is suppose to be based soley on the waterpump, however its quite possible that some minor circulation can occur. in that case run the engine again without the belt (like said above not too long) grab hold of the waterpump so it doenst turn and see if it still makes that noise.

#7 ·
thanks for your replies.

when the fan belt is taken off, the clutch etc stays still and the clicking is still heard, so i guess it must be something else making it.

i thought it was linked to the fan/waterpump as the rod is slightly bent from a crash and when the fan spins it seems "in time" with the noise.

damn, back to the drawing board. I guess something else must be causing it, or that just how a 10year old car is supposed to sound!

thanks again peoples

#8 ·
A couple of things it might be . . . If it kinda sounds like marbles, then it could be your VANOS. I'd also check for sticky lifters or valves. Also, if the engine was worked on after the crash, sometimes it takes a little while for the air in the heads to work itself out, eventually replaced by normal oil circulation. While that's happening, it's not uncommon to hear a ticking noise.

#9 ·
Thanks Dudesky

The car has been sat in storage for 6 months so that may be the cause of the clicking but no work has been done on it since the crash and the noise is still there despite me running the engine for 45 mins the other day (both idle and revving).

I suppose the best thing for me to do is get the bodywork fixed, get it back on the road and if the ticking is still there after a few days of driving it I'll take it to a mechanic. I'll just make sure to keep an eye on the temp gauge just in case!

thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.