how to reset a 328i full auto top - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 328IC 1998
Photos:
andre6 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy how to reset a 328i full auto top

I have my 328i since one year, when I buy-it it was in novenber so stupid me did not want to try the top because weather was cold but when summer came the only part who was working was the unlock of the top for app. 7 inches, then have to open the booth by hand and fold the top in the booth
now nothing seems to work I am so desappointed, it would have been better if it was manual that way I would have been abble to take long trips, Someone have a clue?
andre
andre6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car: E36 'Vert
Photos:
Turbohugh is on a distinguished road
Garage
There is a top reset procedure however here is the short version

[Starting with the top in the down position]
1-Confirm the motors are popped in their locations (the trunk has two motors, one controlls the top, and one controls the tonneau cover).
2-With the ignition off hold the top control in the open position for 30 seconds
3-switch the ignition to the on (not start) position holding the top control button. LED light should flash and the top will start to re-synch
4-After resynch is finished top should operate as designed.

(I have read a version of the resynch that says hold the button in the closed position however the instructions I read said to hold it as if you were opening it.

My top motor that controls the tonneau has a bent frame so I get grinding sounds. Working to fix now.

try this video- good luck

Turbohugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
Thumbs up thanks

thanks again for your help, quess what? It is working I have read another reset it was not yours but yours work, only problem is boot do not close tight,but it may be the wires adjustment . Again thanks from quebec (at least 2 feets of snow yesterday and today but the BM is at warm in the garage for winter,
andre

you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohugh View Post
There is a top reset procedure however here is the short version

[Starting with the top in the down position]
1-Confirm the motors are popped in their locations (the trunk has two motors, one controlls the top, and one controls the tonneau cover).
2-With the ignition off hold the top control in the open position for 30 seconds
3-switch the ignition to the on (not start) position holding the top control button. LED light should flash and the top will start to re-synch
4-After resynch is finished top should operate as designed.

(I have read a version of the resynch that says hold the button in the closed position however the instructions I read said to hold it as if you were opening it.

My top motor that controls the tonneau has a bent frame so I get grinding sounds. Working to fix now.

try this video- good luck

BMW Top Repair (E36) MillerTimeBMW - DIY 3 - YouTube
Old 12-18-2012, 10:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car: E36 'Vert
Photos:
Turbohugh is on a distinguished road
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by andre6 View Post
thanks again for your help, quess what? It is working I have read another reset it was not yours but yours work, only problem is boot do not close tight,but it may be the wires adjustment . Again thanks from quebec (at least 2 feets of snow yesterday and today but the BM is at warm in the garage for winter,
andre

you
OK, if the boot is not closing tightly, try this.

First, carefully start to cycle the top until the tonneau cover opens (and the ;bow is lifted) and you can see under the tonneau cover.

Take a look at the bottom of the tonneau cover, where the u shaped hooks are bolted to it . There is an adjustment that can be made with a 15mm open end wrench. Basically turning the nut counter-clockwise will raise the rail (lowering the lid ). Try adjustments of 1/2 turn to 1 turn each until you can get it in the ball park.

carefully cycle the lid back closed to check the fit. Dont go over board the adjustments are pretty inter-related and you can get them out of wack pretty easily if you go too far..
Turbohugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
thanks again for the time you take this winter to help-me. Now weather caming warm and will try adjust the wires as you say. If I stop the top once the bow will open do I have just to push the switch to continue opening? Hope my English is not to bad
sorry
andre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)