How to keep it going? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 10:46 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ajmst6 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
How to keep it going?

I have a 1998 328i sedan (auto transmission) with 215,000 miles. I have had it for 5 years now, and after 100,000+ miles of driving I am worried that I'm not doing enough My question is: are there any maintenance "secrets" for a car with mileage that high? I have been doing things the uneducated way e.g oil changes, changing coolant, fixing sensors that run awry, and replacing things when they break. However, I'm not sure what else to do. For example, I've never changed the transmission fluid, brake fluid, etc. because I read that when your mileage is that high changing these fluids could actually do more damage than good. I'm in a really bad place because I completely love this car (looks surprisingly good cosmetically-im really into cleaning it) and I want to keep it when i get a newer one. I just feel bad because I haven't been very good to it mechanically.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 11:15 PM
Kai
4th Gear Member

Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Kai
Changing fluids, belts, sensors, spark plugs, and so on are vital to keeping the car healthy. I have never personally heard that changing tranny or brake fluid at high mileage will cause damage...but there are a lot of things I have never heard, it just seems to defeat reason in my mind. I have heard that people who keep cars alive for extremely long periods of time/ miles do basic maintenance almost ritually, ensuring it stays in prime condition and when something goes wrong it is fixed immediately, no waiting around and letting it get worse before it is fixed. When it comes down to it, it is the simple things that will do it. Good luck and welcome to the Werkz.

#3 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 11:20 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmst6 View Post
I have a 1998 328i sedan (auto transmission) with 215,000 miles. I have had it for 5 years now, and after 100,000+ miles of driving I am worried that I'm not doing enough My question is: are there any maintenance "secrets" for a car with mileage that high? I have been doing things the uneducated way e.g oil changes, changing coolant, fixing sensors that run awry, and replacing things when they break. However, I'm not sure what else to do. For example, I've never changed the transmission fluid, brake fluid, etc. because I read that when your mileage is that high changing these fluids could actually do more damage than good. I'm in a really bad place because I completely love this car (looks surprisingly good cosmetically-im really into cleaning it) and I want to keep it when i get a newer one. I just feel bad because I haven't been very good to it mechanically.
Welcome to the Werkz ......& I share your passion!

Ok.......question, 1st, do you happen to know if it ever had a trans service?
Because, I did a trans service @ about 90,000 & 7,000 miles later, I have no issues......trans shifts like a dream....

My theory on the trans fluid change is..... that after many years & high mileage the trans fluid starts to break down, gunk up, turn brown & sticky.... causing the valves & checks to stick causing the trans to shift erratically......

2nd, The coolant system's on the E36 are something to keep an out for......

Upper radiator neck cracks @ about 90,000 miles....

also check to see if you have a plastic thermostat housing, if so on your next t-stat replacement......replace the plastic housing with an aluminum one!

also, how is the suspension holding up?

jb

Last edited by johnnyBgood; 10-06-2009 at 11:31 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 11:35 PM
n00b

ajmst6 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
hi, my suspension is fine! (knock on wood) and actually, i had to replace the radiator 2 yrs ago and the expansion tank about 3 mo. ago. basically the whole cooling system is new. the car is holding up pretty well considering the mileage. I really don't have any problems with anything... it's running great. the shifting is still very smooth-no jerkiness. i just always feel like i should be doing more.
#5 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 11:52 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmst6 View Post
hi, my suspension is fine! (knock on wood) and actually, i had to replace the radiator 2 yrs ago and the expansion tank about 3 mo. ago. basically the whole cooling system is new. the car is holding up pretty well considering the mileage. I really don't have any problems with anything... it's running great. the shifting is still very smooth-no jerkiness. i just always feel like i should be doing more.
Just to let you know I plan on doing another trans service @ about 180,000 if I still have her.......

jb

#6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 11:55 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasei View Post
Changing fluids, belts, sensors, spark plugs, and so on are vital to keeping the car healthy. I have never personally heard that changing tranny or brake fluid at high mileage will cause damage...but there are a lot of things I have never heard, it just seems to defeat reason in my mind. I have heard that people who keep cars alive for extremely long periods of time/ miles do basic maintenance almost ritually, ensuring it stays in prime condition and when something goes wrong it is fixed immediately, no waiting around and letting it get worse before it is fixed. When it comes down to it, it is the simple things that will do it. Good luck and welcome to the Werkz.
^ Kasei nailed it........ ^

jb

#7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 12:25 AM
Kai
4th Gear Member

Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of
Garage
If you still have her? I don't like the sound of that jb, I don't like the sound of that one little bit

#8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 12:45 AM
Ich bin der Modifikator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasei View Post
If you still have her? I don't like the sound of that jb, I don't like the sound of that one little bit

I don't like the sound of it either ........because I plan on keeping her for a long time.......my E36 is part of me................we are conjoined!

jb

Last edited by johnnyBgood; 10-07-2009 at 12:49 AM.
#9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 07:31 AM
Kai
4th Gear Member

Garage
That's better jb...you had me worried for a minute.

#10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 10:08 AM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
Deffo do a trans fluid and filter change...

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 01:25 PM
5th Gear Member

denyo77 is on a distinguished road
Garage
hey JB, wht happened to the 5er you bought?

back to topic: I wouldn't change the tranny fluid on an automatic gearbox at this mileage yet. If the tranny is still shifting smoothly, keep it in there. You can check out the oil also by the tranny dipstick - I think your car should have one. If there's problems with your tranny, try to check the whole tranny out as quick as possible to avoid high repair costs.
I wish I had done this with my ex-auto tranny... but I only looked after it when it was too late and the car would no longer drive in any forward gear. 3 of the 5 clutches inside the transmission were broken and the seals burnt.
Resulted in a forced manual swap.
Missing the slushbox sometimes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)