BMW Werkz banner

How do you people learn so much about BMWs?

3K views 25 replies 23 participants last post by  Silver4evr 
#1 ·
Are there specific books, magazines, etc. that'll teach me about BMWs?

#3 ·
BMW 3 series Enthusiast's Companion is pretty nice. Lots of facts and a big run down about the history of the 3 series and race cars and stuff. Mostly I learn by doing. Also read tech articles online and such.

#5 ·
well it helps to be close friends with a guy who sells parts for em...

as for my general knowledge, I had a really good auto shop teacher

as for my Forced Induction knowledge, I had a TT supra once and I did alot of work on it.

#7 ·
I've learned everything from reading forums B)
Same here. These forums and bimmerforums.com help a whole lot.

#8 ·
If you have a BMW then go out and start replacing things that you think need to be replaced... and when you do that... research the hell out of it... and find out everything about it. Or pick a part.. and learn and research via the internet... its a very valuable resource...

Good Luck.. :rock

#10 ·
You can do what I do:

- go to your local book/magazine shop where ever you are and buy the best looking BMW / European car mags you can find that have good BMW specific content and repeat every month till you sell your Bimmer. :D

- hit this forum hard! Use the search feature to find things already covered here (almost everything!) and if you can't find the answer to your questions, post here looking for info. B)

- Go to a few meetings of your local BMW Users Group. Hide in the back of the room if you want and see if you want to join up. Check if they talk at you increasing level of knowledge, and are cool people - not just rich doctors and lawyers who have their live in mechanics warm up the car for them in the morning!

Most Car Clubs have regular cruises, swap meets, car shows, etc. If you had put your city in the address bar, I could have searched out your local Bimmer Club. Find it by using Google, or any other popular Search Engine... :thumbs

- Start moding your car with small, simple things you are comfortable with; maybe a clear side marker upgrade, or a new shifter knob. Next, move into things that will be a little challenging like a chip upgrade, intake pipe, short shifter, etc. When you find you are getting the hang of it, then go for the 13" Brembo rotors, the Stage 3 Coil Over Kit, and the M3 engine swap! (Doh, I got carried away...) :thud

- spend you next month's coffee money on a few great books like the "3 series enthusiasts guide", "Bentley's 3 series service manual" (which almost everyone seems to own), or "3 series: the complete story". Check at your local book store, or amazon or barns and noble.com for more details.

Let us know how it all turns out! :cheers

#11 ·
i think my knowledge is based on a mixture of messing stuff up then having to fix it, and researching the hell out of stuff on this forum and other parts of the internet.... but then again I'm not very knowledgeable

#12 ·
I used to be a Jag tech and used to work on BMW when they were short handed. Nothin ever serious on the bimmers though, just maint stuff.

I always say get the book and dig in. If you have coomon sense and can read you can do mostly anything. It might just take a little longer.

#17 ·
Most Car Clubs have regular cruises, swap meets, car shows, etc. If you had put your city in the address bar, I could have searched out your local Bimmer Club.
Hey docrobot, any inside info into finding these local clubs, or just a general yahoo search will work?

PS. I live in RI

#19 ·
Hey M3WannaBe , did you get your moldings painted professionally, or did you do them yourself...it looks awesome..I have been contemplating doing mine but I get mixed signals from others, some say the paint peels because of the rubber...?

#22 ·
i learned through a few different ways, the main one being that i help out during the colder months here in toronto at a local exclusive bmw mechanic shop, they only deal with bimmers, and they are the best in the city (incuding the dealerships)

i also learn though these forums and other relivant information found on the internet. i do pick up the odd bimmer magazine or PBMW magazine and they do have helpfull stuff in there.

#24 ·
It takes dedication.... its my passion... its my love... one day.. it will be my job.. but for now.. its just something I love doing... I'f I'm not at work.. I'm doing something with BMW... I love it... books.. mainly good sources on the internet... forums... other people... mags... ect... everything... but by far the best thing to do to learn a lot about BMWs... just work on them... you will find so much information right infront of you.... your car it self.

Les

#26 ·
You can take a specific system of the car; say electronics and take a class and/or buy a book on auto electronics or electronics in general. Then study the wiring diagram for your car and see what you can do.

You can do the same for body work, motors, brakes, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.