You can do what I do:
- go to your local book/magazine shop where ever you are and buy the best looking BMW / European car mags you can find that have good BMW specific content and repeat every month till you sell your Bimmer.
- hit this forum hard! Use the search feature to find things already covered here (almost everything!) and if you can't find the answer to your questions, post here looking for info. B)
- Go to a few meetings of your local BMW Users Group. Hide in the back of the room if you want and see if you want to join up. Check if they talk at you increasing level of knowledge, and are cool people - not just rich doctors and lawyers who have their live in mechanics warm up the car for them in the morning!
Most Car Clubs have regular cruises, swap meets, car shows, etc. If you had put your city in the address bar, I could have searched out your local Bimmer Club. Find it by using Google, or any other popular Search Engine...
- Start moding your car with small, simple things you are comfortable with; maybe a clear side marker upgrade, or a new shifter knob. Next, move into things that will be a little challenging like a chip upgrade, intake pipe, short shifter, etc. When you find you are getting the hang of it, then go for the 13" Brembo rotors, the Stage 3 Coil Over Kit, and the M3 engine swap! (Doh, I got carried away...)
- spend you next month's coffee money on a few great books like the "3 series enthusiasts guide", "Bentley's 3 series service manual" (which almost everyone seems to own), or "3 series: the complete story". Check at your local book store, or amazon or barns and noble.com for more details.
Let us know how it all turns out!