BMW Werkz banner

How do you get the $#?!@ blower fan out of an E36?

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  strubmw 
#1 ·
Hi all,

My blower fan is dying (not the blower fan resistor, already checked that). I got the car disassembled all the way down to where the fan was disconnected and ready to remove, but I couldn't get it out of the small space it's in! I didn't want to risk damaging the squirrel cages to get it out. I just can't see any way to get the thing out, unless I'm missing something very obvious... I have the Chilton manual which is not very big on pictures for this, they just say 'remove the fan'. Ha.

So, how you you get the fan out of the car without busting it up?

TIA,

Steve

#2 ·
Did you read the Bently manual?

Did you read the Bently manual before you started this job? If not, do it. It's explained in there pretty clearly. When you get the plenum out of the way, the motor unclips and pops right out. A lot of shops just replace the whole thing including the fan wheels, that way they can cut the wheels off and make removal quick and easy and just pass the cost onto the customer anyway. The motor and fan wheels together are about $250 for a Delco unit and the motor alone (Bosch) is about $105 from Rock Auto.com

Mike

#3 ·
Have you actually done this?

Mike,

I don't have the Bentley manual ($$$), but regardless, I don't see what else needs to be removed to get the thing out. Unless you mean the intake plenum... Have you (or anyone else) actually pulled the thing out? I'll be replacing the whole thing anyhow, since I've read that the cages themselves are prone to breakage while removing them from the motor, and that they don't last long afterwards anyhow. Without the cages I could easily remove the motor.

Steve

#4 ·
Break it, 'cause you bought a new one

All,

I got a peek at the Bentley manual, and it jibes with the Chilton right up to the end where the Bentley manual actually tells you to break the fans loose 'to ease removal' if you are replacing the entire assembly. Since that's what I'm doing, problem solved.

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.