how to check transmition fluid? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 03:32 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
maxslomoff is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
how to check transmition fluid?

how do i check my transmition fluid level? how often should i do this?

thanks. happy days.
max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 03:46 PM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
two bolts on the transmission,bottom one is for draining, the top one (side of tranny on passenger side) is for filling and checking. you need to open the TOP one if a bit of fluid comes out then your fine, if none comes out stick your finger in and see how close the level is to the hole, if its down say a knuckle or so than you should top it up, if its pretty much to the top than youll be ok.

#3 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 03:50 PM
quality

Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
You don't for BMWs. This fluid is lifetime and sealed inside the car. You can drain it out thru tiny and very hard to get to drain plugs...but even the Bentley BWW E36 Manual says that only the BMW Dealership can properly replace the fluid.

However, Power Steering fluid is also often confused for tranny fluid on the E36 BMWs since its the same brand or type of liquid (i forget). At any rate Power Steering fluid should be check and refilled periodically. Especially in the colder months when the fluid tends dribble over the top cap of the reserviour.

Other important fluids are.
1. Obviously oil...3 months or 3000 miles regardless of what your service indicator says.
2. Brake/Differential fluids...about once a year. Makes your car drive and brake smoother.
3. Coolant checked frequently during summer and early winter. Top off when needed and flushed and refilled every 2-3 yrs...more so if your climate is hotter and more humid.
4. Gasoline...yes..no less than 89 octane and refill when needed.
5. Window washer fluids. For two reasons; 1. It's one of those things you never think about (like your spare tire in your trunk) until you need it and realize you forgot to refill since you bought the car 5 yrs ago (like the air in you spare tire). 2. Second reason is when the fluid gets low and the tank is empty you can damage the washer fluid pump which is already prone to breaking down on the E36s and incidentally one of the more expensive things you can ever replace under the hood of your car short of replacing the entire engine block.
ha ha.
good luck,
Delmarco.

#4 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 03:54 PM
quality

Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious
two bolts on the transmission,bottom one is for draining, the top one (side of tranny on passenger side) is for filling and checking. you need to open the TOP one if a bit of fluid comes out then your fine, if none comes out stick your finger in and see how close the level is to the hole, if its down say a knuckle or so than you should top it up, if its pretty much to the top than youll be ok.
huh?
I swore I read different in the bentley..when it came to refilling it.
I'll check that again. But at any rate I'm pretty sure that fluid is lifetime.

Howevere Furious would Tranny fluid servicing be different for manual cars than automatic. The bently had a different section for manual cars when it came to tranny servicing so I may have missed something.

I'm waiting for the link to return so i can check the manual again. (yes, i never downloaded it... )

#5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 04:04 PM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
i believe they are different but than again ive never worked on a auto tranny. lol, and no for manuals they arent lifetime, you should change the fluid from time to time, i usually use full synthetic and change mine every 2nd season (2 years) only because of how hard i am on the car.

#6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 04:11 PM
quality

Garage
so there you go max....
if you have a manual E36 you'll do the above.
If you have an auto E36 you can rest.

#7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 07:49 PM
Threadkiller

bitcore will become famous soon enough bitcore will become famous soon enough
Furious speaks the truth.
I have the auto tranny and had to undergo the refil procedure. I have an extremely slow drip and I dont feel like replacing the lines, so once every 2 years I'll top it off. (thats how slow it is... maybe a drip a day)

#8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 02:23 AM
quality

Garage
Okay...

1. why or where does it drip?
2. isn't the system pressurized in the lines?
3. and where do you open up the transmission fluid chamber on the automatic?

#9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 04:57 PM
5th Gear Member

catalyst. is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to catalyst.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarco
Okay...

1. why or where does it drip?
2. isn't the system pressurized in the lines?
3. and where do you open up the transmission fluid chamber on the automatic?
They may say its lifetime fluid delmarco.. but it should really be changed anyway.

PS uses dextronIII automatic trans fluid in most of the cars (is ussually says on the top of the fluid cap what to put in)

The Auto tranny uses auto tranny fluid..

The manual tranny uses auto tranny fluid, or syncromax fluid.

#10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 05:11 PM
Threadkiller

bitcore will become famous soon enough bitcore will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalyst.
PS uses dextronIII automatic trans fluid in most of the cars (is ussually says on the top of the fluid cap what to put in)
There is no fluid "cap," it's a plug. Scrape the grime off the bottom of the larger sump and you'll see a large sticker that should say what fluid it wants.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)