BMW Werkz banner

how to check if Keyless Entry was installed

6K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  007ben 
#1 ·
I just bought a 98 328i sedan yesterday :lol: :lol:
the previous owner told me this car doesn't have keyless entry system installed, but when i looked into a whole bunch of manuals, i found a manual for the keyless entry system. now i am starting to wonder if it was actually installed by the first owner, he just doesn't know. or i am just totally paranoid.
So i am asking if anyone knows how to check if keyless entry system has been installed.
Thanks!
P.S. is it good or unnecessary to keep Traction Control activate all the time?

#2 ·
Congrats with your new car! :thumbs

You can look for infrared sensors or remove the glovebox. Behind that the keyless entry system is installed (in combination with an alarm). Can anyone agree with that because I'm not sure?

Keep Traction Control activate all the time, sett it off only when you want to make some donuts in a parking lot! :lol:

#8 ·
you guys are great. Thank you all for the info.
i dont have much experience with car yet, and it's a BMW. so i think i will leave the glovebox alone for a while. :lol:
if anyone think of a way to check it without remove any parts (sounds impossible), please let me know

#9 ·
I had the same challenge w/my 94 325. Owner didn't know if alarm installed...but I had an alarm manual w/my car. First hint at there being an alarm installed was that there's a little red led right above the gear shift (which wouldn't be there if there were no alarm).

Not sure where they put it on the '98s though (if dash is the same, then it should be in the same place, which is in one of the plastic blanks right above gearshift that are used for heat warmer switches, etc.)

#14 ·
You can also manually double lock the door. turn the key slowly to the right until the moment that the doors will be locked. Then turn the key further to the right until you can't get further. Now you hear a 2nd locking noise. This means the alarm is put 'on' now.

#15 ·
No IR sensors in US cars (i'm pretty sure) just uses rf (like a garage door opener).

Make sure the red flashing light you see isn't the one that's on the radio...that's a different red flashing light.

Here's what my light looks like:

#16 ·
Thanks, Frank. Nice picture, then i guess i probably don't have keyless entry system installed, cuz i dont have that kinda of red flash light as shown in your picture. but i still wish it could have it installed. keyless entry is so cool. i so want it. :p :p
see if i can find a BMW mechanic to check it for free

#19 ·
seems like he has figured out that he does have the alarm system...

not sure if anyone mentioned it... but couldn't you pop the hood and look at the front left (as you are looking at the engine) corner to see if the alarm horn is there?

#22 ·
I think alarm horn was an extra option on 3 series...standard on 5 and 7. On 3 series, without alarm horn (aka siren) the alarm triggers the regular car horn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.