How To Add Foglights... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2005, 07:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
jetblack is an unknown quantity at this point
To start off- yes I searched, but I found no one who had talked about this, surprisingly enough. My bimmer has gay little plastic covers that are where there should be foglights. I have a button under my headlight switch for foglights, that lights up green when I push it, like it can do something. I looked under the car, and I have some wires that seem to be headed towards the foglight area. They have a little two prong female white plastic connector on the end of them.

Can anyone tell me if I can just buy some foglights-plug and play? Or do I need ballasts and all that garbage? Somebody has to have done this already. If not, I will keep everyone posted/make up a DIY on this.
jetblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2005, 08:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Ljk619 is an unknown quantity at this point
Strange that there are no posts on how to install the fogs but it's pretty easy.

From what it sounds like you're all set with the rest of the electrical components needed to run fogs, now all you need to do is buy the fogs. Ebay has those crystal cuts or whatever and they work as far as I'm concerned, I myself have depo fogs (got mine for the same price as the crystal cuts but in my opinion the depos are a little better, and yes I have owned both) but anyways wherever you buy them from it should come with the lamps and brackets. Those plastic covers where the fogs go just pop out either take a screw driver and pry them out, shouldn't take that much force or just slide under your car and punch them out from behind. and then...it's all straight forward from there get the brackets in then plug the fogs in, pop them into the bracket and you're done.

///M The most powerful letter in the alphabet
Ljk619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 09:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
jetblack is an unknown quantity at this point
after posting in another forum, I was shown to this link. It pretty much explains this situation if anyone else needs this info.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=303771
jetblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 04:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
I know Delmarco did this to his E36.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
quality

Car: 2001 330i & 2011 550i
Photos:
Delmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Yes I did this to my 318i...when you buy DEPO E36 foglights (find them on EBAY or Umnitza.com or Bavauto.com) They actually come with very cear and simple looking installation instructions complete with pictures.

My Automechanic who deals primarily with BMWs charged me $180 to install them and it took him at most half a day to get them in (at least that is the time he had my car for).

He mentioned the hardest parts were removing the front bumper. And you'll have to installl a foglight button on your dashpanel...where there is an empty space for it. You'll also have to install and wire the fuse for the foglights. These are the hardest labour involved the wiring itself is pretty obvious and simple if you have the basic understand of your E36.

I actually would have done them myself but I didn't have the time and I was unsure of my ability to not mess my car up doing the installion myself.

I did however install my ZKW Euro Specs with 6000k HIDs ballasts and DRLs myself. It took me all day (10 hrs). And in doing that I blew out my fuse relays, killed my battery and almost fcuked up my Alternator. My car was DOA in my driveway for a weekend before my neighbor figured out my battery was dead and my fuses were blown.

Anyway...best Advice is buy DEPOs Fogs from Ebay for around $50 and pay the $180 for professional installation.

Attached Thumbnails
How To Add Foglights...-posig.jpg  

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)