1) New Tires & Rims/ Brake pads and rotors since August
2)I've put close to 10,000 miles on it since I bought it last june 18th about 60% city/40% highway.
3)I've changed oil and updated all other fluids like 8,000 miles ago in July.
4) My power steering fluid, which is not ATF by accident, has slowly been leaking out since sept 23rd, but I'm not sure how much fluid is loss or how much I need before I get into problems.
5)My car is in the 130,000 milage range
6)I suspect my shocks and struts/springs may be replacing (not sure how to tell)
7)I suspect something is up with my wheels-I'm almost certain that rear wheels are wobbling on the axis as if the nuts arent tightened , but they are.
8)My coolant liquid has been looking strange...like a brownish dark green color. The mechanic at Autozone said it was fine. But I don't know
Okay the problems:
1) My steering wheel is squeaking-as of tonight. although I don't have problem steering. (could this be directly related to the pwer steering fluid I've lost?
2) My car drove first 10 miles fine. Then wobbled sideways whiles I drove around 40-50 mph the last 10 mile (20 mile trip altogether). The best way to describe the feeling...is to say that the wheels literally felt as if they where coming off and the nuts were loose (but they are not loose) so the car pulled side to side even thugh the rode was smooth.
3) Also the car kept dragging as if the engine felt weaker than normal. One condition that is diffrerent tonight than all the other nights I've driven home is that the temperature is at freezing 32 degrees tonight for the first time I've been in my car. Could this cold temp affect engine power or performance?
Originally posted by 97alpineM3@Nov 10 2004, 05:16 AM Re do the power steering fluid.. get it flushed.. then put ATF fluid in there.. then. .. go and get some wheel bearings.. all four to be safe.. replace them.. then get a four wheel allinement...
Good news, I went to the mechanic today apparently my power steering fluid was refilled with III ATF and the mechanic told me the leaking did not even affect anything. In fact the old power steering fluid was still filled. Anyway my struts and shocks also check out good.
In fact the only BIG problem was I had literally no oil in my engine....apparantly I drove about 10,000 miles since my last oil change and I should changed my oil about 5,000-7,000 miles ago(!). But the BMW oil service indicator still had one green bar left so i figure it was still good because it didn't go into yellow or red (whats up with that BMW?)
But I turned my back for a sec and caught the mech pouring a green liquid into my coolant to top it off . I ran over there and told him to stop because I heard that the green is bad for BMWs and can screw up your hoses in the winter. He said it wasn't so....whats up with this?...I'm scared cause winter is already here!
Originally posted by xsperf@Nov 10 2004, 06:27 PM see, thats why u dont take ur bimmer to a honda dealership.. lol
only very few people specialize in bimmers, and honda dealerships arent one of em! lol.. did u actually take it to the BMW dealership?
Nah no honda dealership..it was a regular certified mechanic shop attached to Strauss Auto that seems to have a broad range of specialties. I just go there for my fluids and sometimes i ask them to look at stuff like tires and bearings for basic reagular-ass car problems. The reason is BMW dealership[s want you to make formal appointments and the keep your car like 3 weeks for a days worth of work then bill you like crazy....so I deal with them when I'm desperate or for specific BMW things!
I will take my car to the BMW dealership in Brooklyn this friday though to get a coolant flush if I cant DIY and get that nasty Green goop out of my precious coolant tank!!!!
The AutoGuide.com network consists of the largest network of enthusiast-owned enthusiast-operated automotive communities.
AutoGuide.com provides the latest car reviews, auto show coverage, new car prices, and automotive news. The AutoGuide network operates more than 100 automotive forums where our users consult peers for shopping information and advice, and share opinions as a community.