Horrible Drive Home! Car Wobbled And Dragged - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 01:27 AM
quality

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Okay this is a big troubleshoot....

My car stats as of now:

1) New Tires & Rims/ Brake pads and rotors since August
2)I've put close to 10,000 miles on it since I bought it last june 18th about 60% city/40% highway.
3)I've changed oil and updated all other fluids like 8,000 miles ago in July.
4) My power steering fluid, which is not ATF by accident, has slowly been leaking out since sept 23rd, but I'm not sure how much fluid is loss or how much I need before I get into problems.
5)My car is in the 130,000 milage range
6)I suspect my shocks and struts/springs may be replacing (not sure how to tell)
7)I suspect something is up with my wheels-I'm almost certain that rear wheels are wobbling on the axis as if the nuts arent tightened , but they are.
8)My coolant liquid has been looking strange...like a brownish dark green color. The mechanic at Autozone said it was fine. But I don't know

Okay the problems:

1) My steering wheel is squeaking-as of tonight. although I don't have problem steering. (could this be directly related to the pwer steering fluid I've lost?

2) My car drove first 10 miles fine. Then wobbled sideways whiles I drove around 40-50 mph the last 10 mile (20 mile trip altogether). The best way to describe the feeling...is to say that the wheels literally felt as if they where coming off and the nuts were loose (but they are not loose) so the car pulled side to side even thugh the rode was smooth.

3) Also the car kept dragging as if the engine felt weaker than normal. One condition that is diffrerent tonight than all the other nights I've driven home is that the temperature is at freezing 32 degrees tonight for the first time I've been in my car. Could this cold temp affect engine power or performance?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 02:02 AM
2nd Gear Member

docrobot is an unknown quantity at this point
I once drove on a bad Transmission, aboutg 15 miles. I cost me three times as much as if I had it towed to the shop.

I hope your problem isn't any worse for driving it while it was wounded...
#3 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 02:59 AM
5th Gear Member

Speedy-325is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Speedy-325is Send a message via MSN to Speedy-325is Send a message via Yahoo to Speedy-325is
maybe wheel bearings. the sound is unberable. is it front/back/left/right???? back left is usually the problem bearing.

check ur power steering fluid for the squeaking, and have it looked at if u can.

Mark
#4 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 05:16 AM
Been here a while.

97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 97alpineM3 Send a message via MSN to 97alpineM3
Re do the power steering fluid.. get it flushed.. then put ATF fluid in there.. then. .. go and get some wheel bearings.. all four to be safe.. replace them.. then get a four wheel allinement...

Good Luck..

Les

1997 E36 M3 1990 E30 325i
#5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 05:38 PM
quality

Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by 97alpineM3@Nov 10 2004, 05:16 AM
Re do the power steering fluid.. get it flushed.. then put ATF fluid in there.. then. .. go and get some wheel bearings.. all four to be safe.. replace them.. then get a four wheel allinement...

Good Luck..

Les
[snapback]228008[/snapback]
Good news, I went to the mechanic today apparently my power steering fluid was refilled with III ATF and the mechanic told me the leaking did not even affect anything. In fact the old power steering fluid was still filled. Anyway my struts and shocks also check out good.

In fact the only BIG problem was I had literally no oil in my engine....apparantly I drove about 10,000 miles since my last oil change and I should changed my oil about 5,000-7,000 miles ago(!). But the BMW oil service indicator still had one green bar left so i figure it was still good because it didn't go into yellow or red (whats up with that BMW?)

But I turned my back for a sec and caught the mech pouring a green liquid into my coolant to top it off . I ran over there and told him to stop because I heard that the green is bad for BMWs and can screw up your hoses in the winter. He said it wasn't so....whats up with this?...I'm scared cause winter is already here!

#6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 06:27 PM
/Banned

xsperf is an unknown quantity at this point
see, thats why u dont take ur bimmer to a honda dealership.. lol

only very few people specialize in bimmers, and honda dealerships arent one of em! lol.. did u actually take it to the BMW dealership?
#7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 06:33 PM
quality

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by xsperf@Nov 10 2004, 06:27 PM
see, thats why u dont take ur bimmer to a honda dealership.. lol

only very few people specialize in bimmers, and honda dealerships arent one of em! lol.. did u actually take it to the BMW dealership?
[snapback]228309[/snapback]
"honda dealership?"

Nah no honda dealership..it was a regular certified mechanic shop attached to Strauss Auto that seems to have a broad range of specialties. I just go there for my fluids and sometimes i ask them to look at stuff like tires and bearings for basic reagular-ass car problems. The reason is BMW dealership[s want you to make formal appointments and the keep your car like 3 weeks for a days worth of work then bill you like crazy....so I deal with them when I'm desperate or for specific BMW things!

I will take my car to the BMW dealership in Brooklyn this friday though to get a coolant flush if I cant DIY and get that nasty Green goop out of my precious coolant tank!!!!

#8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 09:24 PM
/Banned

xsperf is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah i can understand, but if u really want to trust someone, make sure they are BMW certified.. and make sure they specifically claim they do, although those people are very rare

i was just joking about the honda thing, lol, i know u didnt do that lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)