HID in foglights question - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 07:17 PM
3rd Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tochenzo is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Tochenzo
(Thread Starter)
HID in foglights question

My left foglight bulb went out the other night so I figured it was time to just do the HID conversion. I did a search but couldn't find specific answers to what i was looking for. My question is, will any HID kit work? Or do I need a specific ballast voltage? Where did you guys mount the ballasts? Also, the bulbs in our foglights are H1's correct? And will I need to change any of the fuses for the foglights (15, 22 slots) or should the normal fuses work fine with the HIDs?

Tony

National Capital Chapter BMW CCA #367673
1998 Hellrot 328i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 09:05 PM
Sodium Chloride

saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
They are h1's and any set will work... not sure where to mount the ballast but yeah good luck on that one... if i were you when you do the conversion do the superfogs also... H7Fogs this would take a h7 bulb... not really sure how it would effect the purpose of a fog light though but how many people use them for that anyways right? also umm voltage... just use the same voltage that the fogs use normally... and im pretty sure with hids you should upgrade to a 15 watt fuse... the hids will have specific instructions for that unit on what to use... HIDs in Fogs write-up! - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum theres a link on doing the hid install... clumpymold is a friend of mine and i think his DIY's are pretty good but just warning you he now thinks car modding is a rediculous waste of money... if u really wana know what changed his mind u can im me and ill tell you... but yeah so dont ask him any questions about the install as he will probbibly lexture you... if you have any questions feel free to im me and i can try my best to answer them.

-salt
#3 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 09:10 PM
/Banned

preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash
Send a message via AIM to preyash Send a message via MSN to preyash Send a message via Yahoo to preyash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tochenzo
My left foglight bulb went out the other night so I figured it was time to just do the HID conversion. I did a search but couldn't find specific answers to what i was looking for. My question is, will any HID kit work? Or do I need a specific ballast voltage? Where did you guys mount the ballasts? Also, the bulbs in our foglights are H1's correct? And will I need to change any of the fuses for the foglights (15, 22 slots) or should the normal fuses work fine with the HIDs?

waste of money man, u have done enough mods, time to buy some versace clothes and armani pants. hahaha
#4 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 10:20 PM
3rd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
the diy says to replace the 7.5w fuse with a 30amp, do i need to change the other 5w fuse as well since there are 2 fuses for foglights?

has anyone else here done the conversion?

Tony

1998 Hellrot 328i
#5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 10:38 PM
5th Gear Member

Red_Rocket is just really nice Red_Rocket is just really nice Red_Rocket is just really nice Red_Rocket is just really nice Red_Rocket is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Red_Rocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by preyash
waste of money man, u have done enough mods, time to buy some versace clothes and armani pants. hahaha
ur an idiot, his light went out, so this is more than just a modification dumbass

#6 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 10:38 PM
mdc
1st Gear Member

mdc is on a distinguished road
just to be safe, have it brought over a car shop if they sell HIDs, they can install
#7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 11:43 PM
3rd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
i don't want to pay for labor for something as easy as putting in new fog lights lol

Tony

1998 Hellrot 328i
#8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 11:47 PM
/Banned

preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash
Send a message via AIM to preyash Send a message via MSN to preyash Send a message via Yahoo to preyash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Rocket
ur an idiot, his light went out, so this is more than just a modification dumbass
yea he can just buy the regular fog lights, jackass
#9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 12:54 AM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
If I were you, I would get some really good 3M double sided tape, I would clean the inside of my front steel bumper, and I would mount them in the "tray" formed by the bottom third, inside the curve of the bumper. They'll be fairly safe from moisture there and in reach of the wires. That is actually where I mounted my headlight ballasts, and there's plenty of room for two more ballasts.

I would also upgrade both of the fuses.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 01:57 AM
Live Fast. Drive Faster.

buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to buuhh99
ya your wiring is fine so u dont have to worry about that just try the next step higher in fuses, if it blows go higher, it is only the surge that really affects it i belive dont quote me but I think hid draws less power once it is running,

#11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 01:33 AM
1st Gear Member

BMWERKEN is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to BMWERKEN
You can purchase our ProLumen HID kit for your car. It's 100% plug and play and comes with a full lifetime warranty. I highly recommend you go with the 6000k color temperature but it is available in a variety of colors.

Feel free to email (sales@jlevisw.com) or call (1.888.JLEVISW) or AIM (Nick at JSW) with any questions. We are offering them for $275 shipped, down from 329.99 + shipping.

Call Toll Free: 1.888.JLEVISW
PREDATOR ICE OEM ANGEL EYE UPGRADE | PREDATOR CHROMIUM ANGEL EYES | LED TURN SIGNALS
#12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 06:26 AM
3rd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
thanks, any more info on your kit? I can't find them on your website, also is this special going to go on for a while or am i going to have to order it pretty soon

Tony

1998 Hellrot 328i
#13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 01:00 AM
1st Gear Member

BMWERKEN is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to BMWERKEN
Here is more info about the kit, they are not on our site as we are running this special. We don't expect to run the special much longer but I unfortunately do not have a specific end date at this time.

JleviSW |ProLumen HID Kit GROUP BUY- 275 Shipped - E46Fanatics

Feel free to contact us to order or if you have any other questions

Call Toll Free: 1.888.JLEVISW
PREDATOR ICE OEM ANGEL EYE UPGRADE | PREDATOR CHROMIUM ANGEL EYES | LED TURN SIGNALS
#14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 01:13 AM
1st Gear Member

dementievafan is on a distinguished road
i need some money
#15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 03:51 AM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
Tochenzo, keep us updated. I've been contemplating the HID fogs for a long ass time. When I do mine (itll be after 4300K low beams) i'll go with 3000K or 4300K fogs.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)