Heres one for all you problem solvers!!!! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2004, 04:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Doogle325 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Doogle325
OK this is gunna be a long read but I want to explain exactly whats going on and need some answers cus im really confused.......

Ok here it goes ......I ordered a chip from Turner motorsports and they needed my ECU number so I took it out and read them the number .......last three numbers 402.....remember this for later...........So I get the chip and promptly install it as the directioins stated but they never told me to disconnect the battery so I didnt ....guess thats a no no? When I went to start the car and It wouldnt turn over I check the Ecu and its hot and it smells.....so I fried the computer BMW quoted me 1100 for a remanufactured one........after some research I found this Place in Fla. called Programa that does the remanufacturing. I sent it to them. For 600 they said they can fix it. After they got it they fixed it and called me......the guy said that the computer was actually a 403 computer with a 402 case????? So I put the wrong chip in it........not my fault though ....I guess the previous owner had ECU problems and changed it ....I dunno
When I get it back......I disconnect the battery and install the computer......turn the car over and I hear that sweet sound of Borla ....revved it up a few times and let it run alittle bit then shut it down but the check engine light stayed on the whole time.
Then before I drive the car I washed it .....being very careful of the computer area and the air filter. She looked good a hell and I went to take her for a ride and went real slow down my block.....then turned the corner and punched it.......I went for about 50 feet and the engine cut out??????/ I tried to start her again and she was very sluggish and wouldnt stay running......so my trip lasted .2 miles woo hoo!!!! When i finally got home I popped the hood to investigate and heard this ticking that sounded like electric arcing.... My mass air sensor was vibrating to the sound so I thought it was that....I dis connect the connector to that and its still doing it..... so I remove it completely.......I still hear it ........The Loudest of the sound was coming from that cylindrical part just under the mass air sensorwith the two tubes coming from it.......I also at this time hear the same sound from somewhere just behind the passenger headlight......So I disconnect the battery again and the noise dissappears .......connect it again and I hear it again........so I D/c the Battery again and not touch it for a week .........A friend was supposed to stop over to take a look at it but hes busy and hasn't been able to get here.
For the hell of ot just a minute ago I decided to reconnect the battery and see if she would start......And she turned over and idled perfectlyand the sound was gone but the check engine light was still on and when I revved the engine she seems alittle rough at high RPM. Im afraid to take it for a ride cause if this happens again I need to have some people around to push me up the driveway <its a slight hill> Its been almost three weeks........I wanna drive my baby before the weather gets shitty and I take her off the road.....

So if you actually read all the way to this part and have any idea ....I MEAN ANY......I need some help........First one with the correct answer gets a Lolly pop!!!!
Doogle325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2004, 10:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Been here a while.

Car: Blah
Photos:
97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 97alpineM3 Send a message via MSN to 97alpineM3
Have you tried to contact TMS???? they might be able to troubleshoot it a little better, as they have delt with these problems far more often than we have. They are really good at helping costumers...

Just an idea,

Les

1997 E36 M3 1990 E30 325i
97alpineM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 08:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
ive spoke with turner and they said that they never heard of anything like this .....but as of right now their pretty much out of the picture because i returned the chip......
Old 09-19-2004, 12:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Update on the story: OK tried to drive the car today.....rolled down my driveway and tried to go up it and when you step on the gas shes REAL sluggish and then takes off...........with that piece of information does any one know where I should start?????
Old 09-26-2004, 01:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
i FINALLY fixed the problem.....well...not me ....my friend....
So I finally get this guy over my house to diagnose my car and hes here for like 2 minutes and has the problem fixed, thank god I didnt have to take it to a dealer...they would have jerked me ...
Turns out that when he hooked up his computer it said that it was reading -48*c so he goes over to engine temp sensor and finds a loose wire......hooks it back up and Presto ...my car runs great again....The dealer or a mechanic could have lied and jacked me for like $600....I wouldnt have known unless I stayed there with it and I probably couldnt have anyway.....No I can spend the money I saved for the repairs on my angel eyez........ZKW's here I come!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)